Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Re: your computer

The main computer is a Desktop. The parts in it aren't top-notch, so weren't very expensive. It has a 250GB SSD and a 2nd internal HDD drive. Nvidia graphics card and 8GB of memory. It was put together by a small local computer shop about 6 years ago with Windows 8.1 as the OS. Windows 10 was installed as soon as it became available. It runs trouble-free.

The 2nd computer is also Desktop of similar build. It runs well on Linux Mint 19.1.

My ageing HP laptop runs on Linux Mint 19.1 too.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 running on Android 9 (Pie).

Mrs Mart has a Microsoft Surface Pro and an iPad 3.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:49 PM

I had an HP Pavillion which was great and lasted around seven years. i now have a reconditioned Pavillion and although much improved technically, it runs on win10 so in fact it's a pile of poo poo.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Main Desktop Dell
250gb ssd
350gb hdd
300gb hdd
2tb hdd
Intel Xeon hexcore 267 ghz
24 gb ram
win 10 64bit

Laptop Lenovo
thinkpad T60 old but good

Dell Latitude
again old but good

plus a Samsung Tab s2 each
Do all of my own maintenance.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 02:12 PM

I have a Lenovo desk top that I use most of the time, a Lenovo Thinkpad T470 laptop for travel in Australia and a Lenovo netbook (forget the model) for travel abroad. Then there is my 8" Samsung Tab A tablet I am using now which I intend to replace very soon for the more up to date version - this one has a 4:3 screen.

I still have an older Lenovo Thinkpad T420s laptop and an even older Dell laptop running Linux but these are not used much except by visitors.

(You might get the impression that I like Lenovo)

Personally I think the days of building your own computers are long past. It is only marginally more expensive to have a reputable company like Lenovo build it exactly as you want it and have a guarantee. There is little if any advantage in building it yourself anymore, the savings are not worth the effort and bought desktops components are as easy to change or upgrade as home built.

I have couple of NASs to complete the picture - one 12Tb over 4 drives and one 8TB over two drives ie actually 9Tb and 4Tb respectively)
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Mine’s a desktop built by a fairly local company .
Never had problems.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Desktop is a Mac with 21 “ screen bought 5 years ago..never broken down, never had a virus and an iPad same same...boring machines, they do what it’s says on the box.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a Lenovo desk top that I use most of the time, a Lenovo Thinkpad T470 laptop for travel in Australia and a Lenovo netbook (forget the model) for travel abroad. Then there is my 8" Samsung Tab A tablet I am using now which I intend to replace very soon for the more up to date version - this one has a 4:3 screen.

I still have an older Lenovo Thinkpad T420s laptop and an even older Dell laptop running Linux but these are not used much except by visitors.

(You might get the impression that I like Lenovo)

Personally I think the days of building your own computers are long past. It is only marginally more expensive to have a reputable company like Lenovo build it exactly as you want it and have a guarantee. There is little if any advantage in building it yourself anymore, the savings are not worth the effort and bought desktops components are as easy to change or upgrade as home built.

I have couple of NASs to complete the picture - one 12Tb over 4 drives and one 8TB over two drives ie actually 9Tb and 4Tb respectively)
My bold - I agree Bruce. Over the years I've hand built most of the devices I've used but that is much less cost effective now (since Computer Fairs ceased to exist) as the components are more costly.

I am now happily using a Dell All in One 9030 with 16 Gb Ram, etc. That was purchased from a company which was in the habit of replacing all of their PCs every 3-5 years, or so, - price a couple of hundred quid.The whole computer room can be bought by special companies who then sell on.( having wiped the Drives)

It's worth a search round to see if you can find such companies.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My bold - I agree Bruce. Over the years I've hand built most of the devices I've used but that is much less cost effective now (since Computer Fairs ceased to exist) as the components are more costly.

I am now happily using a Dell All in One 9030 with 16 Gb Ram, etc. That was purchased from a company which was in the habit of replacing all of their PCs every 3-5 years, or so, - price a couple of hundred quid.The whole computer room can be bought by special companies who then sell on.( having wiped the Drives)

It's worth a search round to see if you can find such companies.
Even though the computers I own are 'models' bought from the manufacturer you have a wide range of internals to choose from - for example I go for the fastest chip I can afford, the most RAM, biggest hard drive, Bluetooth etc All of which are variable within the model's range.

Building your own computer doesn't make sense any more and, as you say, computer fairs are virtually extinct - though plenty of bargains to be had on line. I do still change things in my desktop very occasionally ie add extra HDD but these days most things you need are built in at ridiculously cheap prices.

If I have a complaint it is that even 8 USB ports are never enough!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 07:18 AM

I have a desk top PC in the craft room. It began life (2004) as a Compaq but, over the years, so many bits and pieces have been altered/added/adapted I have no idea what it is now! It operates on W10 and is in constant use.

I also have a Packard Bell laptop which is only used when I am off on research trips. It operates on the loathsome W8! Really must have it upgraded to W10.

If anything goes wrong with either of them - they go to two tachy guys (Mark and Andy) who, together, have forgotten more about computers than I will ever know. They are brilliant and not over priced.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 08:24 AM

My computers are all Apple Macs and have been very good over the years. The earliest ones, a PowerMac IIVX and a PowerMac G3 (with the blue front) were working long days continually for 12 years until I decided to replace them. A 27" iMac was my choice, that really is some computer, the screen is amazing and was regularly used for my business of printing and graphic design. That was complemented with a MacBook Pro laptop. Now I am retired the laptop is more regularly used these days. An iPhone completes my ownership of Macs since about 1990. Prior to that I worked for printing and publishing companies using Macs so I guess it could be said I like Apple Macs!

No problems with any of them really, I've never had to have anyone to fix them as fonts and printer drivers probably were the cause of any minimal downtime and were easily fixed.

PS – I did once own an HP Pavilion laptop running Vista – absolute rubbish, never again!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top