Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No. Article 50 was the formal advice to the European Commission that Britain was going to quit the EU.

Article 50 included provision for a 2 year period while arrangements were made in order to tidy things up prior to the final departure.

This has been turned into a pissing contest by the European Commission trying to get the best outcome for them and the worst for us.

Firstly there was a maximum of two years, secondly it was intended just to ensure that the break didn't result in a gross mess, and thirdly there always has been a set of measures of last resort to give a defacto safety net.

The whole mess is down to deliberate obstruction by the singularly useless Theresa May cabal.
Oops, my mistake! I misinterpreted you as advocating some sort of UDI on the issue! Mind you, TM wasn’t PM immediately after the vote, the Tories had to undergo a leadership contest etc, so there was bound to be a delay. I think you’ll find that history will record that this mess was mainly caused by Tory infighting.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
But the UK is leaving, the argument now is how it leaves. You want a no deal, which is fair enough, but I find it hard to believe that all 17.5M share that view. Surely those who would prefer a deal should be respected too, that’s what democracy is all about.
A deal wasn't mentioned on the ballot paper Weedeek, a simple in/out. And Todger is right, we should be negotiating from outside the EU for a deal.

If we take 'Leave With No Deal' off the table Boris has nothing to bargain with, the same as May, nothing has changed and the outcome will be the same. May was shafted and let down when they took 'No deal' off the table, she tried to make the best of a bad lot and failed. It will be exactly same if that happens to Boris.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
But the UK is leaving, the argument now is how it leaves. You want a no deal, which is fair enough, but I find it hard to believe that all 17.5M share that view. Surely those who would prefer a deal should be respected too, that’s what democracy is all about.
The problem is that the only deal we have been offered, and supported by Traitor May, would effectively keep us in the EU indefinitely.

I voted to leave, not to half leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
so negotiate all deals after brexit. That is what should have been the strategy from day #1.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The problem is that the only deal we have been offered, and supported by Traitor May, would effectively keep us in the EU indefinitely.

I voted to leave, not to half leave.
I agree with both you and Todger, JBR,
This has been going on too long now, with the same old
arguments and warnings being trotted out!
I suppose we will have to get off our arses again and restate
our case, as our name is being continually taken in vain
by all kinds of remainers?
I would like Nigel to get some local offices organised in all
the major towns to prepare for any election, which looks
likely, and also to organise a coordinated set of public
demonstrations of support for Boris as well as Nigel?

Regards Donkeyman!
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Of course there is another way of looking at it.

How about independence for ENGLAND?

How about if England opted out of the UK leaving these pettifogging little places such as Scotland and Wales to sort out their ongoing relationships with each other and leave us to ourselves?

Would work for me.
Great idea I can assure you wont be missed just check around the world and see what they think of you NOT A LOT
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
Great idea I can assure you wont be missed just check around the world and see what they think of you NOT A LOT
Especially since just over half of the electorate have demonstrated their narrow minded stupidity.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
Who cares about the ROW? What matters is us.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Especially since just over half of the electorate have demonstrated their narrow minded stupidity .

Or more mature thinking and pride in our national identity and the importance that it is better to be independent especially from a corrupt undemocratic monstrosity which the EU now is.

Maastricht should NEVER have been accepted at least not without a referendum.

When last consulted the British people chose to join a trading bloc, not what Maastricht turned it into.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Especially since just over half of the electorate have demonstrated their narrow minded stupidity.
Purwell, you could argue that it was the lesser half of voters that fit your description....

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top