Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Jared O'Mara: Sheffield MP arrested in fraud probe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49451255

MP Jared O'Mara has been arrested on suspicion of fraud, according to multiple sources. The independent MP for Sheffield Hallam was arrested at the same time as his chief of staff Gareth Arnold, the BBC's Next Episode Podcast found. Electronic equipment was confiscated in the South Yorkshire Police inquiry, the BBC also understands.

Mr O'Mara did not respond to requests for comment while Mr Arnold said he had "no comment". Both have been released under investigation.

South Yorkshire Police would not confirm details of either man's arrest. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority said it was a "matter for the police".

Mr O'Mara said he was "taking time out for mental health treatment" in July and promised to resign at the end of summer recess after allegations of sexual misconduct towards staff. Constituents have complained that case work has not been dealt with in the MP's absence, allegations Mr Arnold denies.
Blimey ..... another MP may face a criminal court appearance .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 07:42 AM

Re: Jared O'Mara: Sheffield MP arrested in fraud probe

They are all 'at it' these days!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They are all 'at it' these days!
In fairness details of what he has been accused of are not yet known

It could be electoral fraud, it could be fraudulent use of information or data - let's wait and see.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 12:00 PM

From what I have read it is all to do with alleged Expenses Fraud.
But we will know soon enough.

What is it with crooked politicians and public servants? it's as if some cannot resist the "kid in a candy shop" syndrome once they have easy access to taxpayers money in the public sector. It's as though some just cannot resist stepping over the line and defrauding taxpayers. I don't suppose they even bother to think for one moment of the damage they cause to taxpayers services when this happens. The temptation is just too much for them.

It made me think back to before retiring, I worked in the private sector and personally handled thousands of pounds in banknotes every day in a securely locked office by myself with no cameras present. Did I ever think of stealing any? an emphatic NO! I was so immune to those £50, £20, £10 and £5 notes, It didn't even feel like dealing with real money, it was like counting monopoly money.
(I spent more time washing my hands almost every five minutes due to banknotes being disgustingly filthy with bacteria and traces of drugs!!)

lol, some evenings, even though I constantly washed my hands, I still worried whenever the police boarded my commuter train with sniffer dogs. It's a well-known fact that many banknotes contain traces of cocaine and heroin on them!!! Not a nice thought.

However, those same departments of ours were ruled with a rod of steel. Every single penny down to the last one pence piece had to be accounted for. Even the petty cash for teabags.sugar, etc, the occasional taxi fare and office supplies didn't escape scruitiny.

At the end of the week, if the accounting was not spot on, No-one escaped those offices until the incorrect figures were found, a sound explanation received and accepted before being corrected and signed off.

Is it so difficult therefore, for the same not to apply in the public sector? How often do we hear that fraud was only discovered when a too infrequent audit was carried out when the fraudster had either gone on holiday or left the company?

As we learned to our disgust with the expenses scandal, it seems not much has been put in place since then to prevent fraud or misappropriation of taxpayers money. That is scandalous. Other heads should roll as well as the fraudsters whenever they are caught. It might put a stick up their backsides to get things done so it is never allowed to happen.
They are far too lax in the public sector with accountability for taxpayers money.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Not a fan of these men but I'll wait until we know far more before condemning them could be anything at the moment with what we actually know.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Jared O'Mara: Sheffield MP 'postpones' resignation

3 September 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49570403

Jared O'Mara has postponed his resignation as a Member of Parliament, according to the Treasury.

The independent MP for Sheffield Hallam had told the BBC he would step down after the House of Commons reconvened.

The Treasury confirmed Mr O'Mara had given formal notice of his intent to resign but now says the MP had asked to postpone the process.
Presumably, then, he will keep his parliamentary salary and expenses until he's booted out .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top