Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Re: US trade deal

Originally Posted by gascony ->
So do you mean UK protectionism or much less protectionism? My guess is you mean the latter. Less protectionism might mean more UK-US and US-UK trade, but it will be of most benefit to the country with the lowest production costs. And the country with the most things to export.

No read it again.

And learn basic economics
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Could be although they use a lot more fat and sugar than I would be comfortable with I believe, having eaten some very sweet sweets from my indian colleagues. They all say what I make isn't sweet enough. Rice pudding for instance theirs is chewy and sticky with sugar, mine milky in texture and much less sweet.
You're right Julia.

I like a good curry, and we have an excellent place nearby that does home delivery as well as a restaurant.

On the other hand, I never eat Indian sweets. They'd make me vomit!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:10 PM

***Name calling and bickering posts removed.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Can someone tell me what we will be able to trade in, that we don't trade in now?

No answer came the stern reply!!!!
It’s often said UK trades with the US on WTO terms. In reality, they have more than 100 separate bilateral agreements with them.

U.S. goods imports from United Kingdom totaled $60.8 billion in 2018.
Total imports of agricultural products from United Kingdom totaled $824 million in 2018 (a little more than 1% of total). Leading categories include: snack foods, cheese, wine and beer, red meats, fr/ch/fr, and live animals.
Top import categories in 2018 were: vehicles, machinery, special other (returns), pharmaceuticals, and mineral fuels*

U.S. goods exports to United Kingdom in 2018 were $66.3 billion, with
agricultural products in a total of $2.0 billion (3%) in 2018. Leading categories include: wine & beer, tree nuts, prepared food, soybeans, and live animals.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Seem that the US farmers are emphatic that we have to accept thei stadards in any trade deal

https://news.yahoo.com/no-deal-brexi...l8V167wWdP9gx#

Seems no use to go into denial anymore on this issue?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9310081.html
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Seems no use to go into denial anymore on this issue?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9310081.html
If we don't want it, we just don't buy it.

What's the problem ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

What's the problem ?
The problem is that poor people can't afford the luxury of buying more expensive british chickens when american cheap meat is on offer. You obviously never have been in these circumstances, but look around in UK food banks.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

30-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The problem is that poor people can't afford the luxury of buying more expensive british chickens when american cheap meat is on offer. You obviously never have been in these circumstances, but look around in UK food banks.
^^^ that's really funny
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

What's the problem ?
Sorry, can't see it. The Unindependent doesn't like ad blockers!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

30-01-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sorry, can't see it. The Unindependent doesn't like ad blockers!

Just Cloggy going over old arguments about chlorinated chicken again.

Pompeio disclosed that chloro chicken is part if the uk - usa trade deal and ofcourse cloggy got upset. I dunno what the problem is, just don't buy it if you don't want it and pay extra for non-chloro chicken. Just be aware your more likely to get food poisoning that's all.

The bigger story here is how the EU made it impossible for member states to disclose processing techniques on food labelling. That's why people are up in arms about chloro-chicken because we can't be informed of what is and what isn't chlorinated. It's another non-tarrif barrier to protect bankrupt farmers in the EU so they get free money on the EU gravy train and the opportunity to peddle over priced crap to other countries in the block. There is nothing wrong with chloro chicken it's perfectly safe - the EU also acknowledges this.

When we leave the EU we should first change the labelling laws so we can firstly allow consumers to identify chloro chicken to give them freedom of choice and also to champion animal welfare by declaring what meat has been slaughtered using halal methods so uk consumers can outlaw it by buying meat slaughtered by humane 21st century methods instead.

The chloro chicken argument is a dud. The argument about USA chickens animal welfare being worse than in the EU is often used as a reason to ban it here, but the "behind closed doors" intensive poultry farming practices and farms particularly in Spain ignoring regulations suggests otherwise.

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top