Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 01:50 AM

Re: Government Loses its Working Majority

It looks like the clown prince is stuffed. I heard on the radio this morning that Labour have effectively set the agenda and the government lost 328 to 301.

I don't understand why the government didn't just filibuster - ie just talk and talk until time runs out and there is no time for a vote. Perhaps they can't manage it?

There seems to be little point in an election because you will probably end up with a similar parliament because of your daft voting system (won't you?).

Does Brexit looks less likely by the day? Because it looks like any deal is likely to be an exit with all the disadvantages of being in the EU and none of the advantages.

I have to say that once again I am glad I am outside looking in at this debacle.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Then he should read the renowned article 50, paragraph 4:

For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.
If Bread had taken time to read it he wouldn’t have looked so foolish. Well, maybe not
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Then he should read the renowned article 50, paragraph 4:

For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

That does not mean we do not have a veto. We are still a full EU member.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Where has political ethos gone.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
That does not mean we do not have a veto. We are still a full EU member.
Hi

We have No Veto, the negotiations are between the UK and the EU.

We can no more veto the EU position than the EU can veto the position of our Government.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have No Veto, the negotiations are between the UK and the EU.

We can no more veto the EU position than the EU can veto the position of our Government.
Wrong.

We are a full member of the European Union, bound by all of the treaties. We do not participate in the day to day activities of the EU Parliament but we do retain our right of veto as an EU Member.

The Queen can also veto the latest stunt by the remainers.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Wrong.

We are a full member of the European Union, bound by all of the treaties. We do not participate in the day to day activities of the EU Parliament but we do retain our right of veto as an EU Member.
The Telegraph agrees with you there, Bread, and points out that Boris could even go over there and veto UK's own motions (no pun intended).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

04-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
The Telegraph agrees with you there, Bread, and even points out that Boris could even go over there and veto UK's own motions (no pun intended).
Exactly, Ted.

Thanks for that !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:12 AM

Wrong.

The Queen can also veto the latest stunt by the remainers.
Bread I understand that a request to extend article 50 requires the consent of all member states and as we are still a member Johnson can veto an extension.
I think at least one other member state might veto the request anyway.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It looks like the clown prince is stuffed. I heard on the radio this morning that Labour have effectively set the agenda and the government lost 328 to 301.

I don't understand why the government didn't just filibuster - ie just talk and talk until time runs out and there is no time for a vote. Perhaps they can't manage it?

There seems to be little point in an election because you will probably end up with a similar parliament because of your daft voting system (won't you?).

Does Brexit looks less likely by the day? Because it looks like any deal is likely to be an exit with all the disadvantages of being in the EU and none of the advantages.

I have to say that once again I am glad I am outside looking in at this debacle.

Lets face it Brucy, Boris never really had a chance did he?
But like yourself l also question why he started this off so
early, why did'nt he wait as long as he could??
However it is what it is, the question is now, what is it??
( tongue in cheek)! I see you do believe there are disadvantages
to membership after all?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top