Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:51 PM

Re: Government Loses its Working Majority

Well Solly, its as I said previously, this argument over the EU has been going on for over 30 years, and even if and when we do leave, it will no doubt carry on.

I still find it hard to believe that over 3 years ago, the people of Britain voted by 52% to 48% (over 1 million votes) to leave the EU, Today, we have arrived at the HOC, where 73% of our MPs support Remain and still doing their utmost to sabotage our democratic vote.
That is something 17,4 million people will never forgive them for, and will cause bitterness in this country for many, many years. Politicians will be treated as the dirtbags they are and will never be trusted again. EVER.

I'm pretty sure that if Boris gets the GE that he has been forced to call, it will be a bloodbath for all those Remain MPs from both parties that have played fast and loose with their constituent's belief that they were representing them and not their own selfish interest.

I'm watching Parliament now and both the LibDems and the SNP have just stood up and stated categorically that they want to stop Brexit. So there we have it. This is the real reason they have played the blame game with the government. They couldn't win at the ballot box so they are making a last gasp to thwart Brexit by the back door by pretending they are acting in the name of democracy.
Democracy spits at them!

We have all seen the London rent-a-mob on our screens with the factory-made placards, being used as a willing dupe to allow the establishment media to claim wrongly that the people of this country don't want a no-deal Brexit. We all know that anyone who voted Remain doesn't just want a no-deal Brexit, they don't want Brexit at all!
Those of us who voted for Brexit are so sick of the treachery that has been going on, I'm confident enough to state that we now could not give a fig whether we leave with or without a deal. We just wish to leave.

Apologies if the above has turned into a tirade. I am just trying to explain how angry I am, and would imagine 17.4 million Leave voters must also be feeling exactly the same.

I despise each and every one of those 73% of MPs for not accepting the result of 2016 and getting behind Boris to get the best deal for the UK, instead of turning this into Parliament against the People.

Sigh, Off to make a cuppa.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well Solly, its as I said previously, this argument over the EU has been going on for over 30 years, and even if and when we do leave, it will no doubt carry on.

I still find it hard to believe that over 3 years ago, the people of Britain voted by 52% to 48% (over 1 million votes) to leave the EU, Today, we have arrived at the HOC, where 73% of our MPs support Remain and still doing their utmost to sabotage our democratic vote.
That is something 17,4 million people will never forgive them for, and will cause bitterness in this country for many, many years. Politicians will be treated as the dirtbags they are and will never be trusted again. EVER.

I'm pretty sure that if Boris gets the GE that he has been forced to call, it will be a bloodbath for all those Remain MPs from both parties that have played fast and loose with their constituent's belief that they were representing them and not their own selfish interest.

I'm watching Parliament now and both the LibDems and the SNP have just stood up and stated categorically that they want to stop Brexit. So there we have it. This is the real reason they have played the blame game with the government. They couldn't win at the ballot box so they are making a last gasp to thwart Brexit by the back door by pretending they are acting in the name of democracy.
Democracy spits at them!

We have all seen the London rent-a-mob on our screens with the factory-made placards, being used as a willing dupe to allow the establishment media to claim wrongly that the people of this country don't want a no-deal Brexit. We all know that anyone who voted Remain doesn't just want a no-deal Brexit, they don't want Brexit at all!
Those of us who voted for Brexit are so sick of the treachery that has been going on, I'm confident enough to state that we now could not give a fig whether we leave with or without a deal. We just wish to leave.

Apologies if the above has turned into a tirade. I am just trying to explain how angry I am, and would imagine 17.4 million Leave voters must also be feeling exactly the same.

I despise each and every one of those 73% of MPs for not accepting the result of 2016 and getting behind Boris to get the best deal for the UK, instead of turning this into Parliament against the People.

I feel exactly the same as you SG.
I've said many times that the way the majority of MPs are behaving is certainly not democracy.

The only power to change things that we possess is our right to vote.

Unfortunately, even there we find anti-democratic activities in play to oppose us.

For example, there is the 'Compo' effect: the situation where someone (naming no names, of course) tries to assure us that they are desperate for a general election but then, when the opportunity presents itself, they do a volte face for no apparent reason.

Then there is the problem, quite commonplace these days, where a politician enters Parliament under one political party only to change to a different party when they don't agree with their own party's policies. Naturally, they don't want to leave their cushy position so they oppose any suggestion of a general election or by-election.

So we can't do anything until the next obligatory GE comes along, which is one reason I believe that elections should be held more frequently than they are at present.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Not at all. You argued convincingly why leaving the EU is superfluous with regard to regaining sovereignty. Parliament is sovereign, by law, and you just have given examples of it's correct functioning.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Not at all. You argued convincingly why leaving the EU is superfluous with regard to regaining sovereignty. Parliament is sovereign, by law, and you just have given examples of it's correct functioning.

You shouldn't have a problem then if Boris prorogues parliament from 12pm tomorrow lunchtime then
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Democracy spits at them!

Except that every shred of evidence indicates that Boris has done nothing to try to get a deal

You only had to look at the faces of the Tory brexiteers when they lost the first of the votes. Rees Mogg looked like he’d found a penny and lost 50 million pounds, he may well of done

Let’s hope he and other brexiteers who are betting against our country by holding short positions against the pound lose their shirts by the pound rising on the good news that the majors of Parliament cares about this country rather than their own personal greed
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Lets face it Brucy, Boris never really had a chance did he?
But like yourself l also question why he started this off so
early, why did'nt he wait as long as he could??
However it is what it is, the question is now, what is it??
( tongue in cheek)! I see you do believe there are disadvantages
to membership after all?

Regards Donkeyman!

Assman, perhaps you need a reminder that I voted "NO" in the 1975 referendum on joining the European Community, it was all you stupid bastards that voted "YES". Even better I also did something about it and left Europe permanently.

It was a matter of indifference to me whether Britain stayed or left the EU, so, like the rest of the world, I just sat back and enjoyed the slow motion train wreck as the government shot itself in the foot day after day and the population tore each other to shreds for the three years of achieving absolutely nothing. If it wasn't so ridiculous it would be very sad but it has become a Monty Python sketch being performed for the rest of the world to savour.

As I have said elsewhere it makes our bunch of no hopers look really, really good.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top