Join for free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 04:45 AM

Boris climbs down.

Hi

Boris has given up in the House of Lords.

No more attempts to block the Bill.

Is this the end of the Story?

Nope, not at all.

Boris has the intelligence of a gnat, a complete idiot.

Those pulling his strings do not, very clever people.

It is far from over.

I sincerely hope that what ever happens we leave and without Corbyn getting into power.
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Re: Boris climbs down.

At this very moment, even as we speak...Boris`s Lord and Master, over on the other side of the Pond...is preparing to send to his favourite jolly Lackey, the latest edition of the globally recognized literary masterpiece which is entitled ''How to win that all important general election...without even trying...'' !!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:55 AM

OMG! I can’t keep up with events.

Please tell me if I am wrong, but my understanding of this now is that MPs voted by a majority to back the bill to block a no-deal Brexit if Boris hadn’t agreed a plan with the EU ahead of the 31st Oct 19.
They also voted against a General Election immediately requested by Boris as the first bill above ruined his Brexit negotiations.

So, he only has three options left now.

1… Boris refuses to give royal assent to the bill.
This is when the Queen formally agrees to agree a bill that clears both houses of Parliament into law. The government cannot refuse to do this but it can hold out until after the prorogation next week, at which point, all bills without royal consent are scrapped.

2… Boris seeks a general election without a two-thirds majority
He could pursue a general election even if the motion fails to get the 424 votes it would need. He would only need a majority of one to pass, but very doubtful he would even get that.

3… Boris holds another Referendum.
He will be up the creek without a paddle if the extension bill passes but a general election is impossible. He will be forced to seek an extension to Article 50 in late October if he has not secured a deal, going against his promises.
Another Referendum looks like his only way out of this mess.

As I say, I’m not sure if I am correct on the above, but looking at it, what other choices does he have. He has been denied his General Election to let the people decide, forced into accepting a no deal, which puts the kibosh on any cooperation from Nigel and the Brexit Party who have always said “they are willing to put the national interest first before the party, but only if no-deal is still on the table”.

Anyone got any suggestions of how he is going to get out of being well and truly kippered.

One tiny bit of great news. Philip Hammond has gone! He will not be allowed to stand as a Tory candidate at any GE. A new candidate will be chosen soon.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Please tell me if I am wrong, but my understanding of this now is that MPs voted by a majority to back the bill to block a no-deal Brexit if Boris hadn’t agreed a plan with the EU ahead of the 31st Oct 19.
They also voted against a General Election immediately requested by Boris as the first bill above ruined his Brexit negotiations.

This is when the Queen formally agrees to agree a bill that clears both houses of Parliament into law. The government cannot refuse to do this but it can hold out until after the prorogation next week, at which point, all bills without royal consent are scrapped.

He could pursue a general election even if the motion fails to get the 424 votes it would need. He would only need a majority of one to pass, but very doubtful he would even get that.

He will be up the creek without a paddle if the extension bill passes but a general election is impossible. He will be forced to seek an extension to Article 50 in late October if he has not secured a deal, going against his promises.

As I say, I’m not sure if I am correct on the above, but looking at it, what other choices does he have. He has been denied his General Election to let the people decide, forced into accepting a no deal, which puts the kibosh on any cooperation from Nigel and the Brexit Party who have always said “they are willing to put the national interest first before the party, but only if no-deal is still on the table”.

Anyone got any suggestions of how he is going to get out of being well and truly kippered.

One tiny bit of great news. Philip Hammond has gone! He will not be allowed to stand as a Tory candidate at any GE. A new candidate will be chosen soon.
Another referendum wont solve anything, we will be in the same situation as we are now.

I think the only thing Boris could do is to prorogue parliament before the bill in the Lords is passed. This way, it is scrapped entirely until 14th October.

He could also just ignore the delay bill and not go to seek an extension or veto the extension as soon as he is offered it. Or, get Farage to try and get countries to veto any extension because if we stay in, Boris could veto the new EU Budget in November making life unbearable for the 27 - especially on Ursula Van Der Leyens first day - plus 29 of Farages MEPs protesting and making life difficult in Parliament.

I can't see a general election - even with a majority of 1, Corbyn will only agree to one if the delay-bill is passed to royal ascent.

Last option, is to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament or veto the delay bill.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:41 AM

I've never known of a carry on like this, Anywhere....It's certainly shown the MPs up in their true "Self Serving and to Hell with the Public Colours". I hope all sides are heavily punished at the Polls for years to come. They can't be trusted an inch and not a word of what they say believed.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Another referendum wont solve anything, we will be in the same situation as we are now.

I think the only thing Boris could do is to prorogue parliament before the bill in the Lords is passed. This way, it is scrapped entirely until 14th October.

He could also just ignore the delay bill and not go to seek an extension or veto the extension as soon as he is offered it. Or, get Farage to try and get countries to veto any extension because if we stay in, Boris could veto the new EU Budget in November making life unbearable for the 27 - especially on Ursula Van Der Leyens first day - plus 29 of Farages MEPs protesting and making life difficult in Parliament.

I can't see a general election - even with a majority of 1, Corbyn will only agree to one if the delay-bill is passed to royal ascent.

Last option, is to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament or veto the delay bill.
I think that he will find a way to get an election, especially with a negative majority, and I also think that the Leavers will come out, to vote, in bigger numbers than ever.

Go Boris,

Let's do some more kick outs and a new kick off!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:45 AM

I'd love him to give us a new referendum with two options leave with his deal or leave on WTO terms. That would mean we leave but the remainers can't say they didn't get a vote.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:48 AM

The majority of MPs never wanted to leave & thought that the vote would be to remain.

I remember a report that stated the UK will never be allowed to leave the EU & it seems that too many people agree with it.

I am sad to say that the only thing MPs are interested in is getting the best jobs, no matter which party they have to do it with! I am ashamed to live in a country where we pay MP's money to look after the country's affairs, when they are only interested in looking after themselves!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

On your first point, if the bill passes the lords, prorogation doesn't affect it. Royal assent is given by the queen, an not boris (altough he may on occasion act as one). However, ministers, in effect boris, may advice the queen to withhold assent. In the past century or so this has never happened.

If boris is going for an referendum, he will have to request an extension for a half year (due to period it takes to organize referendum). The EU will probably grant it, but it one never knows, macron may obstruct it, as was argued in an newspaper item you linked to, yesterday.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The majority of MPs never wanted to leave & thought that the vote would be to remain.

I remember a report that stated the UK will never be allowed to leave the EU & it seems that too many people agree with it.

I am sad to say that the only thing MPs are interested in is getting the best jobs, no matter which party they have to do it with! I am ashamed to live in a country where we pay MP's money to look after the country's affairs, when they are only interested in looking after themselves!
We need a like button

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top