Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Re: Anyone Got Flu Like Symptoms?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Will it work for this common cold, I m all stuffed up and sick of blowing by dose
Sorry You have the cold LQ which We all know there is no cure for,but hot drinks/soup/covered head over a bowl of steaming hot water, should make You feel better and get rid of it sooner,xx
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:31 AM

I love chicken soup. I made a really yummy variation the other day. One potato, five cloves of garlic, one onion, one carrot, the stem of a broccoli and chicken stock, one or two chicken wings, sprinkle of thyme. Fry the onions and garlic with butter, add the chopped potato & carrot, add the broccoli chopped up stem, cover with chicken stock add the chicken wing and simmer for 40 mins. It is amazing and really good for the start of flu-like symptoms or any cold.

If you have a cold already then chicken broth is the business. It's a couple of chicken pieces, boiled with a piece of carrot, a celery stick, a slice of parsnip, chicken stock and season with dill or parsley. That's pretty much all you need. Very easy to make and very nutritious without overloading your digestion. Noodles or pasta is optional.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Your soup sounds yummy, Annie.

Think I'll have to make some of that now.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
One potato, five cloves of garlic, one onion, one carrot, the stem of a broccoli and chicken stock, one or two chicken wings, sprinkle of thyme
This recipe isn't making sense to me Annie but it depends on what you mean by Chicken stock. I'm hoping it doesn't mean a Chicken OXO cube or some other bought stock.

The whole point of "healing" chicken soup is that it comes from boiling the bones of chicken carcasses. That's where all the healing nutrients come from.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Sorry You have the cold LQ which We all know there is no cure for,but hot drinks/soup/covered head over a bowl of steaming hot water, should make You feel better and get rid of it sooner,xx
Thanks may, I was just telling my dad I m going to do the age old cold remedy and put some Vicks vapour in a bowl of steaming water and put a towel over my head and inhale, my mum used to do that whenever I had a cold as a child . Old remedies are the best
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This recipe isn't making sense to me Annie but it depends on what you mean by Chicken stock. I'm hoping it doesn't mean a Chicken OXO cube or some other bought stock.

The whole point of "healing" chicken soup is that it comes from boiling the bones of chicken carcasses. That's where all the healing nutrients come from.
It's not supposed to make sense!!! It's soup.

It's easy to digest, highly nutritious and makes you feel good which is a great way to heal your body. I use Kallo organic chicken stock cubes because they are free from etc, I'm not a fan of oxo. However, most of us have better things to do than make our own stock. It's all "healing" as long as the soup is freshly made and not out of a tin. But if you think you are healthier making your own stock then that's fine with me. I don't think it makes any difference to the health outcomes. Perhaps you have some studies to prove me wrong....???
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-09-2019, 11:03 PM

Thanks may, I was just telling my dad I m going to do the age old cold remedy and put some Vicks vapour in a bowl of steaming water and put a towel over my head and inhale, my mum used to do that whenever I had a cold as a child . Old remedies are the best
Wow LQ! My mum used to do that too. She would do it when I was in bed and then wrap me up under the covers. It was great for sorting out congestion and getting a good night's sleep. Sleep is the great healer IMO.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not supposed to make sense!!! It's soup.

It's easy to digest, highly nutritious and makes you feel good which is a great way to heal your body. I use Kallo organic chicken stock cubes because they are free from etc, I'm not a fan of oxo. However, most of us have better things to do than make our own stock. It's all "healing" as long as the soup is freshly made and not out of a tin. But if you think you are healthier making your own stock then that's fine with me. I don't think it makes any difference to the health outcomes. Perhaps you have some studies to prove me wrong....???

I use the organic Kallo brand too, Annie.
No doubt we are about to get bombarded with nourishing stock recipes now though.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-09-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I use the organic Kallo brand too, Annie.
No doubt we are about to get bombarded with nourishing stock recipes now though.
Kallo is great IMO, no additives and ethical compared to the rest.

But I'm really looking forward to the scientific studies Mups!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-09-2019, 11:43 PM

I'm terrified of doing that any more Queenie.
I had a terrible accident when I was 13. My own fault entirely, but easily done.

There I was, sniffing the steamy aroma - I think it was Friars Balsam - while Mum was getting our tea ready, when I decided I'd had enough. As I lifted the towel back from my head, little did I know that it was caught under the edge of the hot basin.
If I had lifted it from theback of my neck forwards, it wouldn't have happened, but I lifted it from my forehead - backwards.
The result was, I pulled the whole lot in my lap!

I remember screaming, and Mum rushing into the room, and lifting my school skirt to see what damage was done. I had those thick wooly winter stockings on, and as Mum peeled one off, to my horror, I saw my skin peeling off with it!
She phoned Dad to come home quick, and I was carted off to hospital, burnt from my knicker leg almost down to my knee on one leg. Fortunately (if you can call it that) it missed my 'privates', but my leg was badly burned.

The good news is, it healed beautifully.
I have only got one tiny faded scar barely an inch across now, the rest of my leg healed without trace eventually, but I will never inhale that stuff again.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top