Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Censoring Social Media

Not sure which section to put this in Mags/Meg?

I had to smile when I read tonight in a health magazine that according to the World Health Organizaton, 'Anti-Vaxers' on Social Media sites are one of 10 major health threats today.

But a Public Health England consultant at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said - "These people are being censored on Social Media even though they are influencing only a tiny minority of parents."

So folks, you never know who is reading your posts and watching what you spout about.

Libel? . . . slander ? . . . You are being watched.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Re: Censoring Social Media

I read that they were trying to cover anti vax promotion under hate speech legislation. I don't agree. I may not share the views of anti vaxxers but I believe in freedom of speech.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Vax, is this about Vacuum Cleaners, there is also a thread about Henry.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Vax, is this about Vacuum Cleaners, there is also a thread about Henry.

Put your specs on Spitty, and behave.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-09-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I read that they were trying to cover anti vax promotion under hate speech legislation. I don't agree. I may not share the views of anti vaxxers but I believe in freedom of speech.

Just goes to show though Annie, we never know who's reading our posts, do we.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just goes to show though Annie, we never know who's reading our posts, do we.
Well it is the world wide web so potentially anyone. But the sort of surveillance we are talking about is done by bots rather than humans. Anyone who doesn't want to be read can get around it by avoiding certain key words. (if you know what the key words are).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well it is the world wide web so potentially anyone. But the sort of surveillance we are talking about is done by bots rather than humans. Anyone who doesn't want to be read can get around it by avoiding certain key words. (if you know what the key words are).
How do we find out?

Are they not changed regularly?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How do we find out?

Are they not changed regularly?
I guess it depends on the bot but I don't think it's easy or maybe even possible to fool some of these things. They are becoming very sophisticated. There are various bots looking at this site for advertising reasons. They will be programmed like an automated thesaurus. As well as this many devices now have listening ability. Our lives are no longer private even when we think they are. The government is investing heavily in AI tech and is on a mission to ensure everyone in the country has internet access. I guess there are good reasons for that and not all altruistic.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:11 AM

No point in getting paranoid. You can walk down the street, somebody could take your photo and sell your image to the world and your soul with it.

Always best to get out of bed in the morning and live your life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:27 AM

I'm not keen on censorship I would like to see a pro vaccination campaign argue with the antis properly openly because most people on social media bark who are you or prove it and IMO pro vaccinators have all the proof and know what they are saying. If they shot down the anti vaxxers when they spout their nonsense people could then make really educated decisions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top