Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 02:40 PM

Re: An Enlightened Brexiteer.

Another enlightened Brexiteer...

''My first week in the taxpayer-funded rabbit warren that is the European Parliament''
https://brexitcentral.com/my-first-w...an-parliament/

it just shows how much of our money is wasted on the EU gravy train
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

''My first week in the taxpayer-funded rabbit warren that is the European Parliament''

From that article:
The prize for the Eurospeak statement of the day must go to the official who explained to me, without a hint of irony, that it was not permitted to be an MP of a Member State and be an MEP because that would be a direct conflict of interest. I think that probably sums up the problem!

That indeed sums up the difference between a mp and a mep. You represent not a constituency, or even a country, but 500 mln europeans. Quelle responsabilité
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Interesting! Wasteful as well as dictatorial.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Interesting! Wasteful as well as dictatorial.
Is that a fact?
Whoever thinks we can do without Europe, finds every European budget too high. Anyone who thinks there should be more European cooperation will say the opposite. The bare facts show that the European budget is a fraction of the national budgets: less than 1 percent. That budget is always set for seven years because "Europe" mainly finances long-term projects such as the construction of cross-border gas pipelines (useful now that we want to be less dependent on Russian gas!), Erasmus scholarships or keeping the North Sea clean. Government leaders determine the level of the European budget, not "Brussels". Last year they pinned the European budget for 2014-2020 at EUR 908 billion. With that the budget went down for the first time in history, not up: in the past seven years it was still 1.12 percent of the national budgets. In a period in which Europe has expanded and has been given additional tasks (such as foreign service, banking supervision), Europe is doing more with less money. The average citizen spends around 65 cents a day on the EU. 94 percent of the European budget, by the way, goes back to the member states in the form of projects and subsidies. It is even national and local authorities that spend most of it, not Brussels (which is why the Court of Auditors always finds that irregularities occur mainly in the Member States). Citizens therefore certainly put money in Europe, but get everything back in a different way.

Of the European budget, 94 percent goes to projects (see above) and 6 percent goes to internal administration. Of that 6 percent, expenses, buildings, salaries and pensions are paid. This makes the EU super slim in spite of Indian stories. The European Commission, the day-to-day administration of the EU, has 32,000 permanent employees, including hundreds of interpreters and translators.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 08:57 PM

And when other states decide to leave that will be a lot of stuff for the few clinging on to pay for, good luck with that.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-09-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And when other states decide to leave that will be a lot of stuff for the few clinging on to pay for, good luck with that.
The time that other countries considered leaving is long over. Britain saw to that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think Solasch might be right, we've not set a very good example have we.......
The EU just pay people off, why do you think it has been hard for us to leave....Too many MP's Allegedly taking backhanders, and the people with the most money have the most influence...It's basically....Us against them. Who said 'Class was dead in Britain'......
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think Solasch might be right, we've not set a very good example have we.......
The EU just pay people off, why do you think it has been hard for us to leave....Too many MP's Allegedly taking backhanders, and the people with the most money have the most influence...It's basically....Us against them. Who said 'Class was dead in Britain'......
And now your own parliament effectively killed of no deal brexit. Now that road is closed, farage cannot go it either. And since he has nothing else to offer, he and his brexit party are finished. Pity, he had a great future perhaps even as a pm. Now he will have to remain a simple mep in europe.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I too didn't dare to differ in opinion from my father. He had calloused hands...

That explains a lot.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
That explains a lot.
Ah my friend, you have been there too!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top