Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Chiropractors are they any good?

My friend recommended I go to a chiropractor as I have a bad back .
She is rather into alternative medicines .
Although I am a bit dubious about this I thought I would give it a go and after an examination xrays and a treatment came out feeling lawful but much lighter ( in the bank account that is )

Anyhow they recommended two treatments a week for the next few months . at just my diet restrict bread sugar and pasta because these foods cause inflammation in the body

I thought I would consult a doctor .

The doctor was not impressed at at all and recommended physio .

I have tried this too.

It had limited success I am just getting old and my backs giving out .

Has anyone else had good results form this ?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Re: Chiropractors are they any good?

I have tried both Muddy and they didn't help me at all. My Decorator is having Acupuncture at the moment and says its really good, just once a month at £40 per session.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:20 PM

I understand that sleeping on a very flat pillow will ease back pain, and even better, the Pillowcase should made out of silk.
This apparently keeps the face wrinkle free.

I better buy two!

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Are Chiropractors any good?

I suppose it depends on two things, Muddy.

First, it probably depends what the problem is, and secondly, it depends on whether you find a good practitioner or a lousy one.

For example, I know the bones at the lower end of my spine are 'degenerating.' Had the x-rays done.
Well obviously my chiropractor can't make them new again, so some would say she didn't fix it.

But I know, things have a knock-on affect.
If my back aches, I may not walk or stand equally balanced.
If I keep putting extra weight to one side instead of equal, I will cause more problems on the side I am over-using.
My pelvis will try to compensate and this causes more trouble.

Also, if my back aches at night, it wakes me up every time I turn over, so I don't get quality sleep - which in turn affects how we feel the next day.

On the other hand, if the top end of my spine is playing up, not only will it spread into my shoulders, it will go up into the back of my neck and start causing headaches.

See what I mean about things having a knock-on affect?

I have been seeing my McTimoney chiropractor for about probably 14/15 years now. I know when I need to see her, and I know what happens if I ignore it.
If I nip a problem in the bud, it stops it in it's tracks.

It has turned out that mostly (but not always) I can last about 3 months between visits, and I can feel I am then due for another treatment.

I would only use McTimoney, I have tried ordinary chiropractic, and also osteopathy but for me, it is McTimoney that wins hands down - plus they are very, very gentle and don't click bones about like the others do.

Maybe I am lucky with my lovely lady. We get on really well.
She did 7 years training instead of the usual 5, because she wanted to help animals as well. She does horses and dogs too.

A good few years ago my old Lurcher slipped a disc. The vet x-rayed and showed me what she had done. All he could offer her were pain killers.

I thought all the pain killers in the world wouldn't move that disc back where it came from, and I didn't want her on strong drugs for long, so I took her to my friend.
I stayed with her, and held her still for my chripractor to work on her, and 40 mins later that dog jumped back in the car (she wasn't supposed to, little monkey), and never had a problem again.
The vet was impressed.

Having said all this, I do firmly believe there are good and bad people in any 'trade'. I am lucky in finding one who is supberb, and that is why I stay with her.
I have seen others who are not so good.

That's all I can honestly say, Muddy, except why on earth would they expect you to have 2 treatments per WEEK for months on end???

Either you have a more severe problem than I have, or they're having you on!

I think I might get a second opinion.

Have a look and see what's in your area:

http://www.mctimoneytrust.org/44/Fin...l-Chiropractor
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Some years ago now I had a lot of neck pain and bad headaches so went to see an osteopath as I couldn't get in quickly to see a physiotherapist on the NHS. The first session was massaging my upper back and neck which did relieve some of the pain. The next session was the same but with a quick twist of my neck, a cracking noise and the disc causing the problem was back in place.

Putting that disc out in the first place was caused by lifting something heavy and awkwardly. That now must have been 40 years ago and no problems since then, 'touch wood'.

I don't know anything about chiropractors but the links below have information that may be of use to you. The second link has information on all three – physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths. Hope these are of some help:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chiropractic/

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/f...h-chiropracto/
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:28 PM

I would recommend a physiotherapist over a chiro any day. JMO
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I would recommend a physiotherapist over a chiro any day. JMO

Doubt a Physio could have done my poor dog's disc though, Keezoy.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Doubt a Physio could have done my poor dog's disc though, Keezoy.
Sounds like you needed a veterinary physio. Canine physiotherapy is definitely a thing. But Im glad your dog was OK. I used to do weight lifting when I was young (much youngER) I did my back in and had to have treatment. I tried a chiropractor only because there was one next door to where I was living. He made it worse. I saw a GP and amongst other things he recommended physiotherapy which I was able to get at the local hospital. I stuck with that and my back recovered very well. That was my experience.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 03:47 AM

Great post Mups.
I can’t add anything more.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I have tried both Muddy and they didn't help me at all. My Decorator is having Acupuncture at the moment and says its really good, just once a month at £40 per session.
I know a lot of people believe in acupuncture and as I have lived in the east know loads of people who swear by it.
As I am needle phobic I don’t fancy it myself .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top