Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 03:03 AM

Week Off Work

Well I've been enjoying having a week off work, starting from Monday this week. Up to this week I've had just three separate days off since Christmas and I admit, I've been a bit grumpy because I needed a break from the stress of work.

On Wednesday I decided to take myself off in the car and visited a local retail complex where I had a good toot round, needing a couple of relaxing moments in the car before the next store I visited, but I managed to get some things I've needed for a while.

I sat in the sunshine this afternoon for an hour with my Code Breaker and a cup of tea, and I was relaxed for the first time in a long time.

Having said that, I can't wait to get back to work on Monday. I can't imagine what it would be like to not work being as I'm still reasonably fit and able, even though I am 62. Of course, it's true to say, that I couldn't manage just on my pension as I've no other income, but as long as I can still do my job, I'll carry on working because I can't imagine a life without it, although many do and are happy to do so, which is something I do greatly respect.

So, what do folk do once they've retired? Hobbies, etc?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Re: Week Off Work

Mollie it sounds as though a break for you was long overdue and I guess you managed to have a couple of days of fine weather before the rain returned.

So, what do folk do once they've retired? Hobbies, etc?
I don't seem to have found time for any new hobbies since I retired Keeping the house and garden in order takes a lot of my time along with helping look after the three babies, cooking and baking bread for the family and posting on two forums

Have you any new hobby you would like to try when you retire?

ETA I used to go to pottery classes years ago and found it very relaxing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Enjoy your holiday Mollie, as you probably won't be able time for one when you retire.....
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:34 AM

I took a rather early retirement from work due to the unexpected death of my closest friend, who had so many plans for when she retired, I will never forget her saying to me "whatever you plan to do, do it now whilst you can, if you hadn't ducked when you did that little arrow might have hit you instead of me". My friend was one of the "healthy eating, no smoking, no drinking, walking miles a day" people, but who was struck by a very sudden brain tumour a few hours after driving us 250 miles for a weekend break. After she died my life and my views on life changed drastically. My OH was in agreement with me and so we sold up and we moved to Africa for a few years, then we moved here to Spain. I suppose we were lucky in that at that time we could afford to do so. I think about my friend every day and I thank her ever day for making me realise how precious life is and how quickly it can be taken away from you and all your plans mean nothing. So I thank my friend every day for teaching me a lesson and I have no regrets at all for doing what we did, we learnt so much about life and living in Africa really showed us just how lucky we are.

As for hobbies etc, well I often find myself wondering where on earth I ever found time to go to work!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Well I can't wait to retire and I hope to do it next year. I'm 58 and I've definitely had enough of working. I'm never bored at home. I do a lot of knitting and cross stitch pictures and enjoy the garden when the weather is nice. Once retired I want to help out at an animal rescue home of some kind for a few hours each week. They are always looking for volunteers. So lots of plans and I am monitoring my pension fund with my current company and if it makes my target I shall be off next Spring. I have 4 other pension funds. They are not huge but I think I will be able to manage OK. Then when I get my state pension when I'm 65 it will be a bonus. I also plan to make a bit out of the house sale as I will be moving to Norfolk where properties are cheaper. Bring it on !!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Farmers round here don't seem to retire at all, and My Laird's Da is no exception he's almost 75 and still puts in a full days work on the Farm....though all the real Heavy stuff Dunc or one of the others do. The Clydesdales are Duncs relaxation and hobby, he spends Evenings and Off Time with them, though we go to a lot of the Local Festivals around here and on the Islands.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 07:28 PM

Pleased to hear you are enjoying your week off Mollie and at least you’ve had a little bit of sunshine! You must really like your job if you can’t wait to get back. In all the years I worked in an office I always hated going back after a break.

I am so ready to retire having worked non stop since I was 15 and I know that I will have plenty of things to keep me occupied when I eventually do.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 04:15 AM

Me same as you, Marian. I've worked full time since being 15, so I can't imagine a life without work although I have heard folk say that don't know how they found the time to work in the first place.

Meg, a break has been very long overdue for me.

I do have very mixed feelings about retiring altogether, which I don't think I'll do, because working puts me in the thick of things whereby I have folk to chat to, things to do, goals to accomplish. I guess if I didn't live alone I'd have a different slant on things, but to spend days, weeks, months etc with nothing special to focus on would probably drive me round the bend, as I'm not all that keen on my own company.

I have kept myself fairly busy this week though, going shopping on Tuesday, doing nowt yesterday, then baking today, which I've found most therapeutic.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2012, 02:37 PM

The thing is Mollie when you're retired you can do what you really want to do and not what your employer wants you to do. For me also I have the commute into London which I hate and am dreading the Olympics as a result. I certainly won't be sitting on my backside all day doing nothing and being bored. There must be something out there that you would love to do if you didn't have work committments. I live on my own as well but have had enough of working. I will be moving to a new area as well as I want a complete change. Its great that you love your job but you will have to retire sometime so it may be a good idea to start thinking about what you will do when the time comes and there is no work to go to.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2012, 07:50 PM

I can see where Mollie is coming from. I had to finish work when I was 52 (10 Years ago) to look after Mum & Dad. Mum had ended up in a wheelchair unable to do anything for herself & Dad had dementia so they weren’t able to look after each other. Mum died 9 years ago last week & Dad followed on 13 months later.
I was going to look for a part time job somewhere after Dad died but the day before he died OH came home & said he had packed in work – There was a tremendous amount of Bullying there from the Foreman & he had had enough. He was only 60 at the time so we were both too young for our pensions. It wasn’t worth me looking for a small job then as my wages would have cancelled out the Benefits unless I had got a really good Full time job. Anyway we managed on Benefits for a few years until OH was 65 & got his pension. He has only got a very small private pension & I got my state pension 2 years ago.
Now i’m bored stiff most of the time. I’ve no friends that I could go out with so if I want to go anywhere I end up going by myself which is not much fun. OH goes out 2 or 3 days a week with my brother in law taking photos on the River Mersey – i’m not interested in that. He can’t walk very far nowadays for various reasons so we can’t both go out for the day with the dog for a long walk somewhere nice & he’s not interested in going round shopping centres ect. Most days if I didn’t have Taffy to take out for a walk I probably wouldn’t go anywhere or see anybody. Regarding hobbies I used to do a lot of knitting but none of the family want homemade garments now & knitted jumpers are too warm for me. I used to do Cross Stitch but there is a limit how many samplers ect I need The only hobby I have is Family History which is a solitary hobby.
If I didn’t go up to my daughters (who only lives about 20 min walk away) I wouldn’t see them. My other daughter lives at the other end of the country & i’ve not seen her for nearly 2 years. If I went up there I would have to stay in a hotel as she has no spare beds & she works full time so with the train fare & the hotel it would be an expensive do. OH does not really get on with her (step daughter) so is not keen on driving me up.
My sister lives about 30 min walk away – she works part time but has not been down to our house for about 3 years so I have to go in to the shop where she works if I want to see her & then the other girl who works with her keeps interrupting whenever I tell my sister anything so we cant talk about anything important. Her husband is unwell but they go out for days or off on holidays often. (About 5 holidays a year)
I know it sounds as though I am moaning but as Mollie says unless you have friends or close family retirement is not all it’s cracked up to be. When OH is at home – he’s also a member of various clubs to do with the army & ships so goes to their meeting. Because i’ve not been out or seen anybody to talk to we can go nearly all day without saying much to each other other than “It’s trying to rain” “ “Do you want a drink” – very scintillating conversation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top