Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2020, 10:30 PM

Re: Why?

Remember the German miracle after WW2??
Which ran alongside the British decline!
Good job lm an atheist!

Donkeyman!
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 04:07 PM

The latest I heard is that even though their own epidemic hasn't peaked yet the Germans are sending equipment and badly needed expertise to Italy.

Meanwhile Donald Trump is telling BoJo he can't spare any equipment for the (special relationship) UK.

Let's face it. Its not just testing is it. The Germans have better health facilities, better educated work force, better politicians, better economy and over the years even a better football team.

Where's my Irish passport....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
The latest I heard is that even though their own epidemic hasn't peaked yet the Germans are sending equipment and badly needed expertise to Italy.

Meanwhile Donald Trump is telling BoJo he can't spare any equipment for the (special relationship) UK.

Let's face it. Its not just testing is it. The Germans have better health facilities, better educated work force, better politicians, better economy and over the years even a better football team.

Where's my Irish passport....
They are just very well organised. I seem to recall that they still have much federal autonomy so regions have more control over what happens in their local areas than we do. Here there is (or was) much confusion about where the buck stops which has led to delays and procrastination.

Germany also have one of the highest per capita ITU provision in Europe. I'm sure that the ingrained German culture of hygiene and personal responsibility helps prevent the spread. Culture and tradition is a big factor in how nations approach this situation. You cannot ignore that when comparing.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They are just very well organised. I seem to recall that they still have much federal autonomy so regions have more control over what happens in their local areas than we do. Here there is (or was) much confusion about where the buck stops which has led to delays and procrastination.

Germany also have one of the highest per capita ITU provision in Europe. I'm sure that the ingrained German culture of hygiene and personal responsibility helps prevent the spread. Culture and tradition is a big factor in how nations approach this situation. You cannot ignore that when comparing.
I think you hit it right on the head there Annie. "Organisation".

If you drive on their roads you know exactly what to expect.

Whenever I have been in their business meetings you know exactly what are the objectives, what are the rules and criteria, who are the players and at the end what is the eventual outcome. It just happens on time every time.

Some trolls on here will try to damage them using criticism for WW2 because they lead the EU which our billionaires see as a threat to their tax havens but as long as the memory of WW2 continues in Germany they will never go back to those dark days.

Some may say they are boring and monotonous but at times like these you see they have the right values.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
With respect, their willingness to comply in the 1930/40's did have something to do with the threat/fear of vicious reprisals from the brownshirts/SS coupled with the sense of despondency created by the Versaille Treaty.
Until relatively recently, perhaps the second world war, we have had a lot in common with the Germans. We were both hard working, inventive and productive compared to many other countries. Not so much now though, of course.

I believe that directly after the second world war, the people of Germany changed enormously and quite quickly, just as if they had learnt a valuable lesson.

Yes, I like, respect and admire the Germans. We have holidayed in Germany several times and have found the people there to be peaceful, well behaved and welcoming.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 06:15 PM

Hi

Germany is also a high tax economy, but better health services and Pensions.

They also have not sold off much of their vital industries and have actually invested in them.

German Unions work with Management, not against them.

They do not give away as much as we do in Foreign Aid, but on the other hand their Defence Spending is lower.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They also have not sold off much of their vital industries and have actually invested in them.

They do not give away as much as we do in Foreign Aid, but on the other hand their Defence Spending is lower.
I have to say that I agree with all of this.

Ideally, we should take a leaf out of their book in most respects.

As for defence spending, I think we could also spend less than we do. However, I have the distinct feeling that much of what we do spend is on unnecessary things.
There is, for example, the old joke about our having more admirals than ships!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

"Germany" is actually bundesrepublik deutschland. Translates as federal republic. They have a federal model for their health care with much responsibility at that level. Why do you think the germans are such advocates of the federal model for the EU? They know from experience it works to the advantage of the members.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They have vital industries like boehringer ingelheim, boehringer mannheim (now roche diagnostics), world's greatest producers of pharmaceuticals and diagnostic tests (like for corona).

Both management and unions work for the benefit of 'die firma', because if the firm does well, the workers have a well paid job for the long run. It's simple logic.

If they propose to increase their military defences it is the old enemies from the past that are against that. One of the reasons the germans don't mind the UK left.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top