Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

What a palaver to get a takeaway. I think l’d rather starve than travel miles and pay their exorbitant prices.

Spitty, by you coughing up these silly prices, you’re only encouraging them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 10:22 AM

Do you guys not realise the increase in costs these places face? What should they do other than pass the cost on?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 12:49 PM

Todger, its a bit like a Tradesman who would normally install say a shower, under normal circumstances say, the shower cost £100.00 and the labour was a £100.00, then there is a crisis and his potential customer base reduces by 50%, don't give him the right too double the cost price of the shower unit and increase his labour charge to £200.00.
Will you stop using increased material cost as an excuse for food outlets inflating prices to cover the cost of lost business.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 12:56 PM

The so called 2008 crash had no significant impact on curry and fish and chip costs.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Todger, its a bit like a Tradesman who would normally install say a shower, under normal circumstances say, the shower cost £100.00 and the labour was a £100.00, then there is a crisis and his potential customer base reduces by 50%, don't give him the right too double the cost price of the shower unit and increase his labour charge to £200.00.
Will you stop using increased material cost as an excuse for food outlets inflating prices to cover the cost of lost business.
Firstly it is entirely reasonable for the plumber to hike his charges especially when the price of the shower also increases. He has to charge at a rate that will allow him to earn a wage from his business in view of the market he has to sell into.

Secondly the cost of materials for the takeaway joints has to be paid for along with the other costs involved in providing delivery services not least staff.

The third point is that costs and prices are going to have to increase in the coming months because of our standard of living having to fall and trust me, it's going to go through the floor.

Especially as taxes rise, austerity as has not been seen for many decades kicks in, and benefits evaporate.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-05-2020, 01:10 PM

The so called 2008 crash had no significant impact on curry and fish and chip costs.
The 2008 financial debacle is not in the least bit comparable to what is taking place.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Ok, lets try from this angle, in my metaphor, the cost of the shower had not increased, it had been loaded to compensate for the loss of business from every second customer, and pricing, we were led to believe that the advertised price on a shop shelf was the price to be paid, even if the price, by accident was marked incorrectly, well, back to food, I don't care if the price of a curry rises to say £20.00, I won't buy one, but I want to see any advertising literature CORRECTLY price structured for that moment in time. Technically, I should be able to take the most recent price list, and, demand it is supplied at that price.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-05-2020, 03:07 PM

Ok, lets try from this angle, in my metaphor, the cost of the shower had not increased, it had been loaded to compensate for the loss of business from every second customer, and pricing, we were led to believe that the advertised price on a shop shelf was the price to be paid, even if the price, by accident was marked incorrectly, well, back to food, I don't care if the price of a curry rises to say £20.00, I won't buy one, but I want to see any advertising literature CORRECTLY price structured for that moment in time. Technically, I should be able to take the most recent price list, and, demand it is supplied at that price.
Legally the seller is under no obligation to sell you anything irrespectively of how it is priced. That's covered in the UK sale of goods act.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Do you guys not realise the increase in costs these places face? What should they do other than pass the cost on?

Oh you mean like they return the favour and reduce their prices when supplies and fuel costs go down?

Have you ever known a chip shop to reduce their price of chips when the price of potatoes go down? I don’t!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Todger is confusing Market Forces with plain old Profiteering.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top