Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 03:10 AM

With three D grades at A-level, 80% got university places

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46543102

A demographic dip in 18-year-olds and financial pressure to recruit saw many universities taking a generous approach to applicants, including those who did not reach their predicted grades.

Almost 77% of successful applicants had lower grades than had been predicted - and the admissions service says it wants to work with schools on getting more accurate predictions next year.

Overall, across all applicants with A-levels, there was almost a 90% chance that an applicant found a place.
I know nothing about the current education system but lowering university admission requirements in order to make sure that almost every applicant finds a place seems positively self-serving .....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:00 AM

Re: With three D grades at A-level, 80% got university places

Interestingly, the opposite is going on here. Brick and mortar schools are full, new faculty is unaffordable, and so many people are sodeeply in debt with school loans that many colleges and universities are raising minimum grade point averages and test scores.

I'm not sure I'd be able to get into university today.

Not that they'd want me.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 06:04 AM

Because my degree is so bizarre it would be hard to fail it. As long as you kept up with the language and culture parts.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 06:27 AM

Universities here are profit centres really.So the admission grades needed are not particularly demanding
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Only the best used to go to university, that was when a degree meant something. I see people with degrees working in takeaways and cleaning these days, they don't seem particularly clever people to me so goodness knows that their degree was worth.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally a ploy by Tony Blair to massage the unemployment figures and get kids on full time education rather than the dole queue, since then, a way for the universities to make money by peddling useless degree courses and dumbing down entry qualifications to maintain that income stream.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 02:05 PM

They have had to lower the entry standards to keep everyone happy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They have had to lower the entry standards to keep everyone happy.
I think it's more to get all those fees they charge. The moment they were able to charge £9000 a year they went a bit mad and decided they were less places of learning more money making places able to make huge profits. If you've seen some of the teaching going on in them you won't be able to disagree with what I've written.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Clampdown on luring students with unconditional offers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46919855

Colleges that use unconditional offers to pressurise students into accepting places could be fined or even lose their university status, England's higher education watchdog says.

The Office for Students (OfS) compares the indiscriminate use of unconditional offers to pressure selling and says it could be in breach of consumer law.

There has been a steep rise in students offered places irrespective of grades.

OfS researchers looked at the two different kinds of unconditional offer, those that:
  • guarantee a place, with no conditions
  • are unconditional only if an applicant makes the university their first choice

Overall, the number of unconditional offers to 18-year-olds rose from 3,000 in 2013 to 117,000 in 2018, while "conditional unconditional" offers rose from zero in 2013 to 66,000 by 2018.

Overall, 14% of students received unconditional offers last year - but this varied widely between types of institution.

# Highly selective universities that demand very high A-level grades are least likely to make unconditional offers, with those that ask for lower grades more likely to make unconditional offers.
# Surprise, surprise ..... not!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:57 AM

They just want bums on seats to justify the course....they don't seem to be concerned about drop out rates which are very high. They should be paid on how many qualify not on numbers that start the course....that would focus them on success rates rather than entry rates.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top