Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Re: With three D grades at A-level, 80% got university places

Isn't it time for degrees to be tailored towards what the Country needs? I can't see the point in taking some useless degree only to end up with no job offers at the end of it. For instance, as much as I enjoy watching people dance, the world wouldn't stop if there were no dance degrees.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 10:58 AM

The all kids go to university philosophy was in reality a labour scam set up by Tony bliar ....
here Gordon we have rising unemployment and Skool leavers adding to the figures
Okay Tony so ask that liar alister Campbell for a spin
Alister it’s Tony , yeah going great mate , my war on terror is brilliant so far but I have a problem with too many school kids and not enough jobs .... help !
Well Tony why not send the little darlings to uni? There mother’s wilk buy it if you sell it right , your thick brat will get an ology and a Nobel prize before he’s 22 and we keep the figures down
Gee nice one mate .... let’s go for it ...

But what about when we need real workers ?

Don’t worry about that as I have a cunning plan but let me give Poland a call first
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 06:40 PM

What a terrible thing so many young people not only without jobs but now with a huge student loan burdening them
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What a terrible thing so many young people not only without jobs but now with a huge student loan burdening them
I agree. It's terrible.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46543102

I know nothing about the current education system but lowering university admission requirements in order to make sure that almost every applicant finds a place seems positively self-serving .....
Schools have to pass so many tests and regulations - exam results of F (fail) are marked as a pass!! Some students don't bother sitting the exams!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. It's terrible.
There is no debt in reality as they don’t even begin to start paying it back until earning over a certain amount ( many never earn even the basic ) and even if they do it’s a few percent more in tax and the whole ‘loan’ is written off at 50 .

The realities and the government are only slowly starting to acknowledge this fact is the amount ( billions) will never be repaid and this screws the chancellors figures up somewhat .
The flip side of course is why should everyone pay for free university ?? We’ve just discussed the little darlings are often thick , barely able to read/write at school leaving age .... do some stupid course at uni which if you actually put the time ‘learning’ together over 3 years could easily be condensed to one year rather than actually work for a living as todays snowflakes view work as something someone else does !

When you have uni heads earning £500,000 salaries , teachers earning good money for hours actually spent ‘teaching’ at uni then you soon start to see that universities today are a damn good money spinner , throw in foreign students ( 99% from the Eu never pay anything back but our government give the uni the cash for placements ) and you have a very very lucrative industry for all on the right side of the skool gate
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 07:12 PM

https://researchbriefings.parliament...ummary/SN01079

More than £13 billion is loaned to students each year, this is expected to grow rapidly and reach around £330 billion (2014-15 prices) by the middle of this century.

The value of outstanding loans at the end of March 2018 reached £105 billion. The Government forecasts the value of outstanding loans to be around £450billion (2017‑18 prices) by the middle of this century.

The Government expects that 30% of current full-time undergraduates who take out loans will repay them in full.*

The expansion of loans has raised questions about graduate repayments and ultimately the cost of the system to the taxpayer.
IMO, a complete waste of taxpayers' money to line the pockets of "university" administrators and academics .....

* Only 17% of students are forecast to fully pay back their loans - 83% of graduates will have some debt written off .....

https://fullfact.org/education/about...k-their-loans/
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:34 PM

The worst thing about Uni's, is how many of them emerge as brainwashed sjw snowflake lefties......
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:59 PM

And some of the degrees offered............
International destination and tourism
Games development
Acting for stage and screen
Festival management...
Playwriting
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Isn't it time for degrees to be tailored towards what the Country needs? I can't see the point in taking some useless degree only to end up with no job offers at the end of it. For instance, as much as I enjoy watching people dance, the world wouldn't stop if there were no dance degrees.
Totally agree.
I also think tuition fees should reflect that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top