Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Re: Latest telephone scam

I have a call blocker system and if a number that is not on my
'friends' list I get a message asking if I wish to respond to a number from so and so. If I say "No" then that is that. If it is important I have an answer machine for them to leave a message on.
Sadly so many are taken in by the 'nice friendly man' at the other end of the line.
It has been said many many times but I am going to say it again, A bank or building society will NEVER ring you and ask for details of your account.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The worst thing is that nothing is done about it. Surely if we have the technology to send people to Mars, we can stop a few phone calls.
Of course the technology exists Longdogs. It has existed for years. Unfortunately your primary telecoms provider, BT, chose to operate what is nothing less than a "protection racket" for many years (imo) rather than do the right thing and block all these calls.

They could easily block all these scam callers from their systems plus all of the cold calling nuisance companies too.

Instead they used the presence of those things as an excuse to exploit customers. Instead of just blocking them all across the network, they turned the whole thing into a "service". A payable service !

They offered us the customers an additional payable service called "CALLER ID" which sends the phone number details down the line to you at home. If you then buy a suitable device you can see the number calling before you pick up and you can then tell your device to block that number from that point on. Of course it's too late by then as you will have already been called but people still fall for these things !

It was nothing short of a Chinese Triad protection racket. It was a case of, "pay us money or we will allow all these telesales and scam calls through to your phone"

Government should have long since fined them for running it imho.

Today they offer Caller Id free, which just means it is bundled somewhere in your overall telecoms package.

Such is the world we live in.

For what it is worth I don't suffer any of these problem scam or telesales calls. I long since learned how they operate and crafted a solution.

Especially in terms of the nuisance telesales cold calls it is vital to understand how they operate otherwise you will be absolutely plagued by more and more calls.

The important thing to understand is that there are thousands of databases which companies sell on to other companies. Databases with YOUR details in them, your phone number and various flags associated with it.

When one of these companies call you, then IF YOU PICK UP AT ALL, then they will flag your entry in the database as being a viable number with a human being at the other end.

Once that happens you've lost. They will sell your data on to other cold call companies in a never-ending chain and you will just get more and more cold calls.

The solution therefore, the only solution, is to GET YOURSELF FLAGGED IN THE DATABASE AS NOT-VIABLE.

How do you do that?

Simply by never answering your phone.

Whenever your phone rings you just sit there and let it ring until it stops.

Then you do a 1471 to see if the number was recorded.

If there is a number, and if that number is one of your family or friends then YOU ring them back.

Now to avoid inconveniencing your family/friends in future you simply tell them, the next time they ring, to only let it ring twice and then you will ring them back.

Soon enough all your family and friends become completely used to doing that , letting it ring twice and hanging up, and waiting for you to ring them back.

All my family and friends have been using this system for years with no issues at all.

What this does is it gets the cold calling companies to mark you in their database as a duff number. They never get an answer when they ring so you are marked as non-viable, a bad number. You then drop off the database or remain in it flagged such that no-one will ever bother to call it again.

I can confirm that this is exactly what happens. After the initial couple of weeks of cold calls, it all stops and stops dead. No more nuisance calls. Blissful silence.

It's the only way to prevent these calls actually coming through.

Note that domestic call blocking devices DON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM for you.

You still get all the calls, and then YOU also have the inconvenience of blocking them one by one as they come in but since they are all different those calls will just keep coming and you will be in a constant cycle of having them ring you and you having to block them. That's no solution.

What you need is for them to actually NOT RING YOU at all and that can only be done by getting yourself flagged in their databases as a non-viable number.

Hope that makes sense.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Of course the technology exists Longdogs. It has existed for years. Unfortunately your primary telecoms provider, BT, chose to operate what is nothing less than a "protection racket" for many years (imo) rather than do the right thing and block all these calls.

They could easily block all these scam callers from their systems plus all of the cold calling nuisance companies too.

Instead they used the presence of those things as an excuse to exploit customers. Instead of just blocking them all across the network, they turned the whole thing into a "service". A payable service !

They offered us the customers an additional payable service called "CALLER ID" which sends the phone number details down the line to you at home. If you then buy a suitable device you can see the number calling before you pick up and you can then tell your device to block that number from that point on. Of course it's too late by then as you will have already been called but people still fall for these things !

It was nothing short of a Chinese Triad protection racket. It was a case of, "pay us money or we will allow all these telesales and scam calls through to your phone"

Government should have long since fined them for running it imho.

Today they offer Caller Id free, which just means it is bundled somewhere in your overall telecoms package.

Such is the world we live in.

For what it is worth I don't suffer any of these problem scam or telesales calls. I long since learned how they operate and crafted a solution.

Especially in terms of the nuisance telesales cold calls it is vital to understand how they operate otherwise you will be absolutely plagued by more and more calls.

The important thing to understand is that there are thousands of databases which companies sell on to other companies. Databases with YOUR details in them, your phone number and various flags associated with it.

When one of these companies call you, then IF YOU PICK UP AT ALL, then they will flag your entry in the database as being a viable number with a human being at the other end.

Once that happens you've lost. They will sell your data on to other cold call companies in a never-ending chain and you will just get more and more cold calls.

The solution therefore, the only solution, is to GET YOURSELF FLAGGED IN THE DATABASE AS NOT-VIABLE.

How do you do that?

Simply by never answering your phone.

Whenever your phone rings you just sit there and let it ring until it stops.

Then you do a 1471 to see if the number was recorded.

If there is a number, and if that number is one of your family or friends then YOU ring them back.

Now to avoid inconveniencing your family/friends in future you simply tell them, the next time they ring, to only let it ring twice and then you will ring them back.

Soon enough all your family and friends become completely used to doing that , letting it ring twice and hanging up, and waiting for you to ring them back.

All my family and friends have been using this system for years with no issues at all.

What this does is it gets the cold calling companies to mark you in their database as a duff number. They never get an answer when they ring so you are marked as non-viable, a bad number. You then drop off the database or remain in it flagged such that no-one will ever bother to call it again.

I can confirm that this is exactly what happens. After the initial couple of weeks of cold calls, it all stops and stops dead. No more nuisance calls. Blissful silence.

It's the only way to prevent these calls actually coming through.

You still get all the calls, and then YOU also have the inconvenience of blocking them one by one as they come in but since they are all different those calls will just keep coming and you will be in a constant cycle of having them ring you and you having to block them. That's no solution.

What you need is for them to actually NOT RING YOU at all and that can only be done by getting yourself flagged in their databases as a non-viable number.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense and tbh, I rarely answer the phone for that reason (just let it go to answerphone) but I am waiting for a delivery today and the courier will be ringing when he is near.

The 'ring twice and ring again' technique is a good one and something my family have been using for years now. i just hope the scammers don't start doing the same thing.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not sure if this has already been posted but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.

You might get a telephone call claiming to be from BT. A recorded message in a lovely Jamaican accent, tells you that your internet has been compromised, press 1 to continue.

Don't press 1 or you will be put through to a ''technician'' who will attempt to get into your computer. At the very least, you could be charged a lot of money for the call.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-C...1840071/page/2
I have had these filth ringing up for at least 5 years.

They make my day, love telling them to go and catch cancer

All they want is access to my Computer.

The accents are from India.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I have had these filth ringing up for at least 5 years.

They make my day, love telling them to go and catch cancer

All they want is access to my Computer.

The accents are from India.
Yes, I have the Indian ones too and quite enjoy having a swear at them if I'm honest.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:42 PM

A dear old friend , sadly has been scammed , exactly to how much financially i dont know as he would not say but he bought into art work through a caller , he has 4 paintings that appear to be absolute rubbish and was told they were a good investment .

He told me his son is trying to sell them or taken charge to try get money back but it wont happen , they really are awful . I dont know how or why he fell for it , he is very upset .
I said from now on if anyone rings or calls anymore and suggests investment of any kind he is to talk it through with me first .

I dont know anymore info and i dont know his son but the family are aware
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

We were plagued by cold callers until we bought a phone with BT Call Guardian, haven't had one since and we don't have to do anything.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 01:06 PM

I don't have a landline at my own home now, but when I was living there full time I did. At the time it was cold calls for double glazing, extensions ect ect. I always told them I rented the house but could give them the Landlords number, they always accepted at once and I gave them the number of Perth Council.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't have a landline at my own home now, but when I was living there full time I did. At the time it was cold calls for double glazing, extensions ect ect. I always told them I rented the house but could give them the Landlords number, they always accepted at once and I gave them the number of Perth Council.
Nice one!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A dear old friend , sadly has been scammed , exactly to how much financially i dont know as he would not say but he bought into art work through a caller , he has 4 paintings that appear to be absolute rubbish and was told they were a good investment .

He told me his son is trying to sell them or taken charge to try get money back but it wont happen , they really are awful . I dont know how or why he fell for it , he is very upset .
I said from now on if anyone rings or calls anymore and suggests investment of any kind he is to talk it through with me first .

I dont know anymore info and i dont know his son but the family are aware
Very sad. There was something on TV last weeks about fake art auctions aboard cruise ships. Some man wasted twelve thousand quid.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top