Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:29 PM

The silliest thing I have heard today!

In the centre (well - almost) of town we have a General Post Office, beautiful large building, very obliging staff, and always busy. What ever time, day month, season you go in there - there is almost always a queue.

It came as quite a shock to hear that it is to be closed and all postal services to be moved into W H Smith!!! Apparently the council want to use the Post Office building and have even begun redeveloping the land behind it already.

The woman who served me today told me all this is due to happen sometime in May. There has been no public consultation about this - it just happening!

Our W H Smith's is not very large - it is long and narrow - and also very busy with, as often as not, long queues. They do have a bank of 'self service' machines which are, in the main, ignored.

Can you just imagine the total chaos come Christmas?

Postal services at the back of the shop - with queues - Smith's customers at the front - also in queues?

It is sheer madness in my opinion and will result in a loss of revenue for both of them!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:39 PM

Re: The silliest thing I have heard today!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
In the centre (well - almost) of town we have a General Post Office, beautiful large building, very obliging staff, and always busy. What ever time, day month, season you go in there - there is almost always a queue.

It came as quite a shock to hear that it is to be closed and all postal services to be moved into W H Smith!!! Apparently the council want to use the Post Office building and have even begun redeveloping the land behind it already.

The woman who served me today told me all this is due to happen sometime in May. There has been no public consultation about this - it just happening!

Our W H Smith's is not very large - it is long and narrow - and also very busy with, as often as not, long queues. They do have a bank of 'self service' machines which are, in the main, ignored.

Can you just imagine the total chaos come Christmas?

Postal services at the back of the shop - with queues - Smith's customers at the front - also in queues?

It is sheer madness in my opinion and will result in a loss of revenue for both of them!
I think they’re putting it on the whole of the first floor at smiths ST, shame they’re closing the main po, though..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:40 PM

We too have had a Central P.O. close down, which I can’t understand, because it is sort of attached to our Central library! They moved the P.O. to a nearby shop, the whereabouts of which I am uncertain.

So my thinking is, if they have closed the PO what about the library? Do they care? Not a jot. They want to redevelop the shopping mall opposite and grab the land attached, cutting down a line of lime trees, closing the children’s playground, build a monstrosity of a tower block, build another entrance to the Victoria Line, and generally piss off all the residents!!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the club Silver Tabby.
Our village post office was always full of people, many of whom would qualify for membership of this forum. It was the hub of the village where you could meet local residents and was the source of much advice, and not just about postal services.

It was closed last year and moved into the Spa shop just down the road. Even the bright red postbox was demolished that was situated in the centre of the village, it is now located on the outskirts. Christmas turned out to be nightmare in the Spa shop with long queues being serviced by a minimum number of overworked intolerant staff.

Doncaster town centre has also lost it's post office building after being relocated into WH Smiths......Madness! This is England, but not as we know it!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Three of Hull's Post Offices and the main one near me in Beverley are also to be closed and installed within WHSmith branches too, Tabby. Sign of the times, cost cutting.

I guess it's not far different from local shops offering a postal service and many branches of Asda and the Co-op have been doing this for years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 11:18 PM

Here also. The lovely old building was closed down last year (now a fill your own bucket health food shop). The post office counter moved into the back of a small supermarket. There isn't even a post box outside.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I think they’re putting it on the whole of the first floor at smiths ST, shame they’re closing the main po, though..
They said it was going at the back - where Costa used to be, Primus. Where ever they put it - I still think it is a daft idea!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 11:32 PM

They closed the one in our village Tabs.. it moved into the local corner shop.

Im not sure what happened to the queues but there never seems to be anyone there.... maybe people decided to go online or into the next village where there is still a post office.

Its a shame ours closed they sold lovely cards too and it was always full.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 12:11 AM

They have closed two post offices in two villages by me, and what was the 'main' post office in town, they have moved into the Chemist shop of all places!

It's a flamin' nightmare, no where to park, queues nearly out to the pavement, and about 2 grumpy staff to serve everyone.

It is getting the same with banks too, with more and more closing.
I heard on the radio today that more and more people are using their phones or contactless ways to pay now, and eventually they will do away with money altogether.

This is fine for the youngsters who will grow up with these things, but I shall never get the hang (and nor do I want to) of paying for things with my phone!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Our main Post Office in the Galleries is closing in March and they too will be re opening in W H Smith's on the same floor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top