Join for free
Reply
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 23,671
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
04-01-2020, 11:44 PM
61

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

And Mobility Scooters.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 23,671
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
04-01-2020, 11:45 PM
62

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Something "Smart" should obviously be able to discriminate.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,797
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
04-01-2020, 11:54 PM
63

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We need to pre-empt the charging of Electric Vehicles also, and what tariff that might accrue.
I would have thought that would be the saviour of the electricity suppliers. With roof top solar panels they are getting close to a death spiral at the moment. EVs should make power cheaper because of their bulk usage.

The electricity network really is not designed to cope with roof top solar - during the day voltages are pushed ever higher as the solar feeds into the grid. At my house it never drops below 240v. The whole system is being turned on its head.
Reply With Quote
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,199
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
30-01-2020, 10:07 PM
64

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
EVs should make power cheaper because of their bulk usage.

Errrr nope.

EV's will make your energy bills astronomical.

Remember that at the moment your energy is charged at a flat rate per unit of energy used (provided you haven't stupidly accepted a Smart Meter)

In the near future they will fully implement VARIABLE RATE BILLING and this will mean you are charged different rates for energy used at different times of the day. It doesn't take much common sense to realise that they will penalise people very heavily for using energy at PEAK TIME which of course will be late afternoon and evening, the time when people come home from work, switch on the lights, switch on the TV and computers and consoles and cook the dinner.

If you have an electric vehicle when are you going to want to spend the hours charging it? It will surely be when you come home from work, so you are charged and ready for the following day.

Should now be clear why the governments have told energy companies to get Smart Meters rolled out in short measure. They want to be ready and have everyone strapped up to Smart Maters before the whole electric vehicle craze fully takes off. People's energy bills are going to skyrocket. No question about it. The Smart Meter facilitates all of this.

Thus do not accept one. Refuse at every stage and keep switching suppliers if your current supplier mandates that you have one.
Reply With Quote
Last Tango's Avatar
Last Tango
Senior Member
Last Tango is online now
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 521
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
31-01-2020, 10:36 AM
65

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Thus do not accept one. Refuse at every stage and keep switching suppliers if your current supplier mandates that you have one.

Yesterday I logged on to a comparison website re my dual fuel supply. Interestingly the small print in all five cheaper quotes pointed out that I would require to have a smart meter fitted within three months. Otherwise, in all cases, the tariff currently being offered to me would change.

I wonder how many people are caught out by this?
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,797
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
31-01-2020, 10:51 AM
66

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Errrr nope.

EV's will make your energy bills astronomical.

<Big Snip of Drivel>

If you have an electric vehicle when are you going to want to spend the hours charging it? It will surely be when you come home from work, so you are charged and ready for the following day..

Should now be clear why the governments have told energy companies to get Smart Meters rolled out in short measure. They want to be ready and have everyone strapped up to Smart Maters before the whole electric vehicle craze fully takes off. People's energy bills are going to skyrocket. No question about it. The Smart Meter facilitates all of this.
Absolute nonsense!

There is no evidence to show that smart meters increase power prices overall, in fact most data based evidence shows they reduce power costs for average householders (unlike tin foil fear mongering).

An average EV takes about 8 hours to charge from empty to full on a 7Kv charger which gives plenty of time to charge a car using cheap off peak rates at night. The evidence is that in reality few drivers charge from empty to full and most charging is actually top up charging.

Talking through your tin foil hat again about something that you obviously know little about.

In fact your argument is so weak it completely misses the real danger from smart meters which is the ability to charge for apparent power rather than real power. A situation which can be remedied by legislation.
Reply With Quote
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,199
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
31-01-2020, 09:13 PM
67

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolute nonsense!

There is no evidence to show that smart meters increase power prices overall

Utter Billy nonsense. The internet is absolutely awash with real testimonies from people whose energy bills have doubled, tripled or worse since having a Smart Meter. The situation in the USA is dire and many people have protested fiercely to oppose having a meter to the point of obstructing engineers at their house and getting arrested and so on.

Anyone who is seriously interested in the truth needs only Google "Smart Meter increase bills" and just read and read the plethora of testimonies.

Examples:

http://springfieldvt.blogspot.com/p/...her-bills.html


"Some residents bills skyrocketing as much as 2x and 4x the amounts for the same months of the previous year with no apparent increase in useage. PG&E not sure how to respond, tried to defend their ‘SmartMeter Program’ and ended up with class action lawsuits. "






Another here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5789461



"I had a smart meter installed in December, mainly to help save money and to stop having to crawl into the cupboard to give readings.

Low and behold the first month i had it my bills went up. I thought that was normal, maybe the reading was a bit old and i have used more than expected since the last bill. but next month comes and the amount is still higher. We are talking a 70-80% increase since last year"



Another:

Why has my usage doubled since my smart meter was installed?

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/new-ovo-...installed-5179



"I live in a 3 bed semi and have for the last 15 years. Recently switched to ovo and then had the smart meters installed. My usage has crept up over the years like everyone's. Now on OVO with smart meters and nothing has changed in my home my monthly usage/direct debit has gone to £246 a month that's a second mortgage any ideas why my bills have double since i switched to ovo?

"I live in a 1 bedroom flat and my bill has more than doubled. At the moment even with my heating on a timer its working out at about 3.50 a day. Its crippling me financially"

"I have only been with OVO for a few months and since the smart meter was installed I can already see quite an increase in energy consumption compared to previous meter usage"

"I paid £140 d/d per month which I believed was fairly high for a 2 bedroom property. Including myself we are a family of 4. We are all out at work and school during the day. I have moved to a 3 bedroom bungalow and had the smart meter installed. Since then my bills have rocketed to around 235-240 per month and climbing."


and so on and so forth

To state that there is no evidence to show that smart meters increase prices/bills is simply ridiculous. There is a plethora of evidence that shows that people who stupidly accept a Smart Meter see their bills suddenly skyrocket.




Originally Posted by Bruce ->
in fact most data based evidence shows they reduce power costs for average householders (unlike tin foil fear mongering).

This totally depends on which country you are referring to and whether the energy companies have actually implemented VARIABLE RATE BILLING. In the UK, it is still early days and VRB hasn't been implemented in any real sense. When it is eventually implemented people will see their energy bills skyrocket imho. Until then, yes some people will see savings by having a Smart Meter but it is merely a temporary arrangement imho to suck more and more people into the trap. When the hammer falls all those people will be absolutely livid at the increase in their bills.



Originally Posted by Bruce ->
In fact your argument is so weak it completely misses the real danger from smart meters which is the ability to charge for apparent power rather than real power. A situation which can be remedied by legislation.

https://www.reo.co.uk/being_smart_about_smart_meters

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
"Smart meters can tell you how much reactive power (kVArh) is generated from your energy supply. ... Reactive power is in effect wasted power, but is often still billable. By using smart meters, customers can see the amount of reactive power that is being wasted but it's up to the customer to do something about it."

There are studies that show that people DO NOT change their energy usage habits after having a Smart Meter installed. They go through an initial "novelty period" where the nice little gadget they have shows them how much juice all of their devices are using but that novelty soon wears off and normal energy usage habits continue. Currently it is very likely that energy companies are unable to fully bill people because the old meters don't provide the depth of data needed to do that. The Smart Meter will change that and give the energy company the ability to bill customers for real energy used, hence bills will go up again.

There is nothing positive about Smart Meters. Their entire purpose is to enable energy companies to charge customers more money to make $billions more in profits. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,797
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
01-02-2020, 04:25 AM
68

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Individuals complaining that their bill have gone up is not evidence of anything other than people will whinge about their power bills. How about some real data:

This report summarizes the results of recent, large-scale real-time feedback pilots and experiments in the U.S., U.K., and Ireland. It builds upon a previous meta-review by ACEEE of small residential feedback pilot studies, and was undertaken to further investigate the range of savings found in the earlier report in light of recent large-scale pilots conducted in the U.S. and Europe. The studies reviewed here tested various combinations of interventions, but we have limited our discussion to savings from interventions providing direct, real-time feedback on residential electricity consumption and prices through in-home displays, web interfaces, and prepayment meters. Residential electricity savings from real-time feedback in the nine pilots reviewed here ranged from 0 to 19.5%, with average savings across the pilots of 3.8%. The largest savings came from the replacement of pre-existing prepayment meters in Northern Irish homes with new prepayment meters having a real-time display. The smallest savings were observed in two pilots, which found no aggregate effect of real-time feedback on overall electricity consumption. One of the most promising results is that a small percentage of households in several of the pilots had large savings of up to 25%.
https://aceee.org/research-report/b122

Nothing positive about smart meters? more tin foil trash talk. If you have solar on your roof you need a smart meter otherwise you are giving power to the electricity provider for free.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 19,137
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
01-02-2020, 09:24 AM
69

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Hi

I am having one fitted next week, I will let you know.
Reply With Quote
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,199
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-02-2020, 11:44 PM
70

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am having one fitted next week, I will let you know.
Sigh . ..

When will people understand ?!

It won't be evident what the bill increases are going to be until they fully implement VARIABLE RATE BILLING.

You may well find your bill temporarily lower in the interim period but it would be a false assumption and poor indicator of the reality that is coming.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.