Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Re: Borrowed me a ....

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Does not bother me, on one forum a member was extremely Dyslexic, yet always managed to read and understand their posts,as for the Apostrophe Police
Dyslexia is something I am very sympathetic about, my husband is dyslexic but using the language wrongly annoy him too as he struggles to spell and read anyway he doesn't need the challenge of people using the wrong words too !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I guess you have to also remember that many people of our age group and older did not get a good education and had to leave school very early or in some cases were just not very good at English, while they may have been good at other things.

We're not all equally blessed with either ability or inclination so we have to be a bit forgiving when people are different from us. I get annoyed with bad English too but then I stop and think of the all the students I had over 40 years of teaching English and I remember the ones who couldn't learn some things no matter how well they were taught and those whose interests were in other areas and just didn't have the will to learn and those who came from homes where there was no incentive to learn. And it's not so easy to catch up after you leave school as people might think.
But that is what I find annoying it isn't people our age ding this, this particular phrase was used by a 23 year old who has a degree !!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 07:39 AM

I think we can easily slip into extreme generalizations - I have heard young people from all over the world speak excellent Queens English - they obviously had good schooling and home support too.

conversely I have heard appalling english from English youth, American youth in particular etc etc - but these are sub-groups and in any given country to ability to converse in 'good' english will vary tremendously
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Does not bother me, on one forum a member was extremely Dyslexic, yet always managed to read and understand their posts,as for the Apostrophe Police
I'm not referring to people who have dyslexia, I mean the one's who are just lazy with spelling and punctuation, some folk seem to think it's old fashioned and, anyway, who cares, well this thread proves many of us do care!

At the risk of starting another disagreement, I believe dyslexia is bandied around far too much, sometimes seen as a label for those who can't spell. They will never learn if they've been misdiagnosed...

I can always read and understand the posts and replies to other sites, just very difficult sometimes, a bit like talking for 5 minutes without taking a breath!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Trust you to get yer two-penneth in
As long as the weather is good in Cork Patsy, you'll be OK.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
As long as the weather is good in Cork Patsy, you'll be OK.
That's good Jem
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I'm not referring to people who have dyslexia, I mean the one's who are just lazy with spelling and punctuation, some folk seem to think it's old fashioned and, anyway, who cares, well this thread proves many of us do care!

At the risk of starting another disagreement, I believe dyslexia is bandied around far too much, sometimes seen as a label for those who can't spell. They will never learn if they've been misdiagnosed...

I can always read and understand the posts and replies to other sites, just very difficult sometimes, a bit like talking for 5 minutes without taking a breath!!
I agree with you about it being diagnosed rather rampantly these days, my husband can spell the same word about 4 different ways on the same page and mixes up his letters badly too but at school was not diagnosed it wasn't until we got his aspergers diagnosed properly the dyslexia was taken seriously too, he was in his 20s at that point.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 11:51 AM

People who use "off" instead of "of" and people who never use paragraphs are the ones that really annoy me. The rest I can shrug off and mostly understand what it is they are saying. However I do think all this "text speak" has a lot to answer for, and no, I donīt like it.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Not quite the same thing, but there are a couple of things that drive me mad all the same, the first are those who when speaking seem to find it impossible to pronounce 'th' correctly. Simply place the tongue near the roof of the mouth and slightly between the teeth and sort of blow, see? easy peasy. It is not 'f' or 'v' (as in fink and vat); and the second are those (all too common nowadays) who seem to find it impossible to pronounce the end of words and who use a 'glottal stop' instead. Before long we will have degenerated into cave man grunts.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Trust you to get yer two-penneth in
Sorry, Patsy, couldn't resist a little tease. Didn't mean to cause offence, and hope I didn't.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top