Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Re: Mourning

Originally Posted by Jem ->
We all mourn in our own way, my way is to keep the happy memories of my loved ones with me in my head, I personally don't see the need for elaborate graves and huge headstones, that's done to impress the living, so is outward long term mourning, in my opinion.
I agree with that, Jem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree with that, Jem.
I am not sure I do, we say people should grieve in their own ways then criticise those who do something we don't

Personally my side of the family we are all cremated and scattered so no lasting monument but my husbands side have burial plot with large stone monument.

Neither IMO is right or wrong it's just different and I have to admit I get some comfort from going to my MILs grave and chatting to her. We even take our new puppies to introduce them to her ! Can't do that to dust on the grass like my lot are
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Each to their own - its better for people to have what they want to comfort them at that time.
For me, I wouldn't visit a site that meant nothing to us, he would be by my side and in my heart, in our home .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Each to their own - its better for people to have what they want to comfort them at that time.
For me, I wouldn't visit a site that meant nothing to us, he would be by my side and in my heart, in our home .....
Completely agree just when home has gone and people have moved away it's nice to have somewhere to visit and leave flowers etc. As I said not better just different.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Yes I can see why people do this, just not something for me ....
If it brings comfort - its a good thing.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 02:27 PM

Each to their own I say.
Me personally in my 60yrs on this planet coming from a very large family. I can say honestly I have never mourned another soul. Lost 2 sisters father mother and never shed a tear.
But over those years I have picked up a wife,a daughter and son and 5 grandchildren.
I know if I lost anyone of those my world would end.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 06:07 PM

How do you feel about mourning the dead?
Somtimes you have no choice, your body does it for you...
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 06:22 PM

I've very recently lost my mum and at some point most days I grieve for her, it's the feelings of loss and the huge void she's left in my everyday life that I struggle with, some days are better than others and I believe it's quite normal to feel this way as it's part of the healing process which I know will get easier in time.

I too have decided not to have a memorial service, no newspaper announcement, just straight to the Crematorium without any fuss!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm still mourning my mum. She went Oct 2012. Dad died in 2005. Their ashes are in the same plot and mum's details were added to his stone. I'm happy to go along on any anniversary, be it birthday, death date, mother's or father's day, and leave some flowers or a plant. I always always plant a kiss lightly on the top of the stone, saying goodbye or hello. Then I might sit on a bench for a few minutes.

Mum's passing has particularly left a gaping hole in my life, as we did so much together. Probably why I burst into tears a few weeks ago while walking around Salisbury on my short trip away.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I've very recently lost my mum and at some point most days I grieve for her, it's the feelings of loss and the huge void she's left in my everyday life that I struggle with, some days are better than others and I believe it's quite normal to feel this way as it's part of the healing process which I know will get easier in time.

I too have decided not to have a memorial service, no newspaper announcement, just straight to the Crematorium without any fuss!
Sending hugs! Our posts crossed over and I said much the same thing.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top