Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Re: Being Called Ma'am

My son-in-law has to call me Ma'am ever since the wedding, it's on the list I gave him...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
that's nice lovely gal!
'giggle' - I like it !
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 06:59 PM

When I was young my doctor always called me Miss. When he confirmed my first pregnancy he stopped calling me Miss and started calling me Ma'am. I felt ever so grown up.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 07:07 PM

my doctor always call me by my first name, she, and the other partners like the patients to feel they're getting a personal service and make them feel at ease by being a little less formal and more approachable
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 07:15 PM

He was my doctor in my younger years and a very old fashioned one but an excellent doctor, long since dead.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Is it OK for a mere man to chip in halfpennyworth? I don't like being called "mate" by a perfect stranger.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 10:46 PM

I taught in a high school in SA many years ago and the students always addressed the female teachers as 'Ma'am'. I found it strange at first - I was only 25 at the time!

The only other time I've been addressed as 'Ma'am' was when I was in Waitrose and asked an assistant if there were any more mushrooms, as the stand was empty. You could have knocked me down with a feather at such a form of address in a supermarket......... not what I'm used to!

Gwyn
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Is it OK for a mere man to chip in halfpennyworth? I don't like being called "mate" by a perfect stranger.
I get called mate by a male I've only met a couple of times, he's a scouser so perhaps it's normal for them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
When I was young my doctor always called me Miss. When he confirmed my first pregnancy he stopped calling me Miss and started calling me Ma'am. I felt ever so grown up.

Yes mesco, I know what you mean. I too, can recall going from Miss to Madam, but I weren't pregnant, just obviously looking older I guess.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 12:34 AM

Hi, I don't walk away seething or anything it's just that odd feeling as someone said. I've gotten somewhat used to ma'am, but I just remember the old days of miss, ha ha.

One thing I like about Britain that I wish we did more in Canada was saying 'luv'. I like that because once in awhile there's a British person in retail & will use that term. It doesn't matter if you're a man or woman. You guys are used to it. Even if Canadians did say 'luv', it's not the same because you need the British accent to go with it, lol.

Over where I get gas (for the car that is), the woman there is really nice & calls me 'hon'. So that's the next best thing I guess

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top