Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 02:13 AM

Re: Being Called Ma'am

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'm 65. I've beem called Ma'am for many years now.. I guess the first few times felt odd, but I'm used to it now. What I DO hate is being called "young lady" by some twit young enough to be my grandchild. Seriously? Young Lady? I know they think they are being cute and an old bat like me should feel happy to be called "young"... but what they miss is that it's calling attention to age. I am not young.. AND I'm not a child.. so to me it's nothing but condescending agism. I also dislike being called all the cutsie names like "sweetie" or "honey" or "doll". If they don't know my name... Ma'am will do just fine thank you very much.
I agree with you completely about the "young lady" bit. That does sound totally condescending. But! Don't think of yourself as old. What I mean is it's funny how it's all perspective too. If I hear of an entertainer I've liked who died at 65, that sounds too young. Still, I wouldn't want to be called "young lady" FAH!

Still, my hubby calls me "young one!" & I do find it cute but he gets a little exuberant & may say it in WalMart or somewhere louder than I'd wish, lol.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 09:18 PM

If you say Ma'am over here to a woman you more than likely would be told "I'm not your Mam" as it sounds the same, all in a friendly sort of cheeky way. Mam is short for Mammy, as in parts of the UK Mum is Mummy, I think it's Mom in the US. I never heard any woman being called Ma'am over here, that's what one calls the Queen and we aint got no Queen.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 09:49 PM

We say mom too for your mother & ma'am to older women.
U.S. & Canada have a lot of the same.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 10:00 PM

some posh folk say mother, I find the term quite straight laced and too formal
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 08:24 AM

I think Ma'ma is a American way of calling a female. I watch a lot of American programmes and they often say that.
Luv is a Yorkshire or Northern way of calling anyone male or female. I use
it all the time.
My biggest bind of these names is here in Nottinghamshire. I wondered what they were talking about when I first emigrated from Yorkshire.
They say "Hey up me Duck". Had to register that about 4 times before
I asked What!!!!
I do find here in shops that a lot of the younger workers call you Darlin
and Honey.
I find that a bit scarey and it doesn't make me feel good at all. I feel like saying I am not your Darlin.
A Luv will surfice
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
some posh folk say mother, I find the term quite straight laced and too formal
Oh - so do I gal
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I think Ma'ma is a American way of calling a female. I watch a lot of American programmes and they often say that.
Luv is a Yorkshire or Northern way of calling anyone male or female. I use
it all the time.
My biggest bind of these names is here in Nottinghamshire. I wondered what they were talking about when I first emigrated from Yorkshire.
They say "Hey up me Duck". Had to register that about 4 times before
I asked What!!!!
I do find here in shops that a lot of the younger workers call you Darlin
and Honey.
I find that a bit scarey and it doesn't make me feel good at all. I feel like saying I am not your Darlin.
A Luv will surfice
'Hey up me duck'
Me first larf of the day - thanks gal x

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top