Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Does anyone know?

Hi, wondered if anyone knows the answer to this one.

Just been to visit my grand-daughter who is renting a private house. She has been a tenant now for about 4 years.
Yesterday, she was in in her kitchen and opened the back door to let her cat back in when there was a knock at the front door. She went to open the front door and it was so windy that the through draught caused the back door to slam shut. The back door is bottom half wood, top half pane of glass.

Anyhow, because of the through draught, the frosted pane of glass on the back door (which is very old) completely shattered into a thousand pieces. She phoned the letting agents to inform them and they said they would send a glazier, which they did and he has boarded it up until a replacement pane of glass is put in on Friday.

The problem is the glazier said she would have to pay (according to the letting agent) about £150 total.
She believes the landlord is responsible because it wasn't done maliciously or negligently. She does have household insurance but her excess is £100 and money is a bit tight.

I said I would ask you clever lot on here just in case you know differently. She has looked through her rental agreement and there is nothing on there to say who is responsible?

thanks xx
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: Does anyone know?

Sorry Shrops, I would assume that your daughter could be deemed as being responsible as it was her that caused the door glass to be broken in the first place admittedly accidentally because of the draught. It could be viewed by the landlord/lady as being the same as if she broke the glass by some other means.

Was the glazier employed by the letting agent? If so, his charges could be at a premium. See if there's a local glazier who could do the job cheaper as £150 seems a bit excessive.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:36 PM

I would say that accidental damage caused by the actions of the tenant is the tenant's responsibility, and is a matter for her insurance company rather than the landlord.

ETA I would say that £150 sounds about right for the job, taking into account a visit by the glazier to clean out the rebate, supply, cut and fit a temporary board, then order and supply the right size of toughened pane, and then come back and fit it is quite a bit of work, considering there is his time plus travel expenses for two visits. Not a bad price I would say...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi, wondered if anyone knows the answer to this one.

Just been to visit my grand-daughter who is renting a private house. She has been a tenant now for about 4 years.
Yesterday, she was in in her kitchen and opened the back door to let her cat back in when there was a knock at the front door. She went to open the front door and it was so windy that the through draught caused the back door to slam shut. The back door is bottom half wood, top half pane of glass.

Anyhow, because of the through draught, the frosted pane of glass on the back door (which is very old) completely shattered into a thousand pieces. She phoned the letting agents to inform them and they said they would send a glazier, which they did and he has boarded it up until a replacement pane of glass is put in on Friday.

The problem is the glazier said she would have to pay (according to the letting agent) about £150 total.
She believes the landlord is responsible because it wasn't done maliciously or negligently. She does have household insurance but her excess is £100 and money is a bit tight.

I said I would ask you clever lot on here just in case you know differently. She has looked through her rental agreement and there is nothing on there to say who is responsible?

thanks xx

Of course its the responsibility of the Landlord!!! The very idea of holding a tenant responsible for damage caused by an accident is ludicrous!!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I would say that accidental damage caused by the actions of the tenant is the tenant's responsibility, and is a matter for her insurance company rather than the landlord.

ETA I would say that £150 sounds about right for the job, taking into account a visit by the glazier to clean out the rebate, supply, cut and fit a temporary board, then order and supply the right size of toughened pane, and then come back and fit it is quite a bit of work, considering there is his time plus travel expenses for two visits. Not a bad price I would say...
I totally agree.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Of course its the responsibility of the Landlord!!! The very idea of holding a tenant responsible for damage caused by an accident is ludicrous!!!
Of course UJ the landlord must be a scumbag nasty party nazi fascist, but to hold him responsible for damage solely caused by the careless actions of the tenant is a bit of a stretch, even by your bonkers thought processes and values....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:46 PM

A bit more info here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._wear_and_tear
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Actually, she has a very nice landlord who is not the sort of person who would argue about paying if my granddaughter speaks to him directly instead of speaking to the letting agents, but she's not like that and is very responsible and will of course, pay for it if it falls under her blame for leaving the back door ajar.
She just needed to know if the landlord was responsible for claiming on their building insurance as it was an external door which does come under the landlords responsibility but wasn't sure about the glass pane and the reason how it happened.

I will be sure to let her know to let the moths out of her purse. OUCH! Thank you Judd for the extra information, and thank you all too.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

18-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Its a bit of an awkward one this but at the end of the day I don't see how she can expect the landlord to coff up.

Being a landlord myself I would expect the tenant to pay the cost, at very best I might offer to pay half.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:05 PM

SG, On the other hand, should that glass have broken so easily? Surely, the glass fitted should have been up to a standard where it wouldn’t shatter at one slam?
Don’t landlords have a duty of care to have strong, safety glass fitted into outside doors when they rent out?

Was the glass, ‘fit for the purpose’?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top