Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

18-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Re: Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, On the other hand, should that glass have broken so easily? Surely, the glass fitted should have been up to a standard where it wouldn’t shatter at one slam?
Don’t landlords have a duty of care to have strong, safety glass fitted into outside doors when they rent out?

Was the glass, ‘fit for the purpose’?
Yes you are correct about the glass having to be safety glass on doors, but we have still known safety glass to shatter.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:39 PM

Yes, I can see your points of view I personally think the onus to pay will, unfortunately, fall on my GD. even though it was a complete accident on her part, it could still be construed as being negligent. Hopefully her Insurer won't deem it the same!! As for the pane of glass? well Art, the house is pre-fifties so it's been there a very long time, but her landlord is a very responsible person from what she tells me, and owns about 30 properties around here and highly thought of by all of his tenants, so would find it hard to believe he would not do things by the book. He has just recently ensured that all the properties have interconnecting fire detector systems installed rather than the stand alone battery detectors, so he seems to be a very consciencious, caring landlord from what I can gather. .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:49 PM

Phoned her a little while ago to let her know of your views. She says to say thank you. At least she is willing to accept that she must pay for the damage. She is so annoyed with herself though. She removed the doorstop to lock the door last thing at night. Opened it a little in the morning and says if only she had remembered to put the doorstop back after opening it, it would never have happened.
Oh Well, a case of If only......
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 03:08 PM

It's the tenant's responsibility.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-09-2018, 03:14 PM

LOL. That's telling her Ffosse !!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 03:44 PM

I suppose legally it's down to the tenant but it also depends on the Landlord. If I were the landlord and I knew that your daughter was a genuinely good tenant, I would want to keep her in my property and would therefore pay for the glazier or at least agree on paying half.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 05:19 PM

All I can quote is my son is a landlord of a property even though he lives in Brazil.

Not long ago the property front door needed replacing so did the boiler. He paid for the work to be done and claimed off his insurance.. So that might be the answer, not his tennant
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
All I can quote is my son is a landlord of a property even though he lives in Brazil.

Not long ago the property front door needed replacing so did the boiler. He paid for the work to be done and claimed off his insurance.. So that might be the answer, not his tennant
I would be very surprised if his insurance company paid out to replace the front door and boiler unless they were damaged or destroyed by accident, wear and tear is never covered by house or contents insurance for obvious reasons. What happened in the case of your son's property?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 06:56 PM

They paid out via landlord insurance policy
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:03 PM

I think because it was accidental damage through the actions of the tenant she will have to pay for repair.She can probably claim on her insurance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top