Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Getting Ready to Die

Hi

How ready are you?

We all die, just a fact of life.

I would hate my kids to be left with the mess my parents left.

I have an envelope on the mantelpiece.

Everything is sorted.

Funeral, bank accounts, passwords etc.

A list of things to be sold by Auction, not a house clearance.

How ready are you?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Re: Getting Ready to Die

Nothing sorted, nothing planned.

If I die, I die.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Fairly ready I think Swimfeeders, but not as ready as you sound to be. There are still two of us and hopefully we will go one at a time, leaving the left one to finally sort everything out. We have done our wills and have been trying to get rid of a lot of stuff I know the kids won't want. I have given them strict instructions not to argue about who gets what and to share nicely.

My sister in law who lives on her own always puts all her documents and stuff out on her spare bed when she goes away on holiday or if she feels ill - just to be sure folks will be able to find things easily if she doesn't return or get better.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 06:55 PM

We've made a will & our family know the type of funeral we want - songs to be played, hymns etc.

That's all though. We haven't paid for a funeral - they can take it out of the property sale.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Having seen the parents of friends end up with Alzheimers without preparing legal affairs for the next generation, really brings home the need to think ahead. I made a will 15 years ago and I haven't yet felt the need to change it. I do wonder though if you make a will and the solicitor maybe closes down, where does the will go? Presumably there is some process to pass on documents.

I had thought of passwords but haven't decided what to do with these. I have a vast number of passwords that are all in my head and have different clues that nobody else would understand. I thought there was some new service that looks after legacy internet issues as part of probate? But how can you trust them with your data?

One BFF's dad has an Applemac. Her mum was his carer and used to know the password and remind him as he has Alzheimers. But she sadly passed this year and my friend said it's impossible to unlock Apple computers. So she has had to leave it. When you hear such stories it makes you realise how reliant we are on technology. Our lives are so complex now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Good Grief, Swimmy, l want cheering up, not doom and gloom!
I am waiting on the results of a second biopsy I had last week but l’m trying to stay optimistic.

I think, l might worry about all that when it happens! I have made a will but it’s just all the junk in my house that needs sorting, that bothers me!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:17 PM

We intend leaving a mess.

I do hope you're not planning to leave us swimzzzzzzzzzz.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:33 PM

No! You must not leave a mess Dood!

The time to think about this is when you are feeling fine. It's too late when you are too sick to sort anything out. I never used to think about it but others' experiences have made me more focused.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Having seen the parents of friends end up with Alzheimers without preparing legal affairs for the next generation, really brings home the need to think ahead. I made a will 15 years ago and I haven't yet felt the need to change it. I do wonder though if you make a will and the solicitor maybe closes down, where does the will go? Presumably there is some process to pass on documents.

Don't you have a copy somewhere Annie ?
One copy with a solicitor is leaving things to chance.

I hate technology all those passwords !
It all overwhelms me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Don't you have a copy somewhere Annie ?
One copy with a solicitor is leaving things to chance.
Yes but the backup is with the solicitor. It's strange that we don't have a more official process for something so important.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top