Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Re: A BT Telephone Box!

Some of the villages 'out here in the sticks' still have a red telephone box but others no longer have one at all. A 'sign of the times' as Floydy already stated. An odd phenomenon though is that they are not really noticed until they are actually missing!

The number of these cut is quite surprising though. Birmingham, according to the link below from a year ago, no longer has any red telephone boxes:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...e-box-14717818

These two links have more facts and figures on the red telephone boxes, also the occasional green one (as shown in the second link):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40934210

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36148287

One here that is being refurbished rather than joining the 'red telephone box graveyard'. Also a very good alternative use as defibrillator points, what a brilliant idea that is:

"At one point, there were 92,000 payphone boxes across the UK and so far, more than 5,500 of them have been turned into art galleries, notice and information boards, book exchanges and defibrillator points."

https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news...eover-9062770/
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Within a few years all the telephone boxes will disappear from the streets. A couple of years later, so will post boxes. It's a shame, but it's a sign of the times.

Will the game of dominoes still be in existence in 10-20 years time?
I play dominoes with my grandkids I know what you mean though everything is on screen these days
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 08:04 AM

I don't remember life without a home phone. Back in the 50s, when I was little, we were the only house for miles around with a phone, apart from my grandparents who lived in a bungalow my father built next door. I seem to remember we had a thing called a Party Line, a shared line with gran & grandpa.

Very occasionally neighbours from further down the lane would come to use our phone and leave a coin in the box there on the hall table.

That was another thing ... phones would be in the hall and calls would be made standing up.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Within a few years all the telephone boxes will disappear from the streets. A couple of years later, so will post boxes. It's a shame, but it's a sign of the times.

Will the game of dominoes still be in existence in 10-20 years time?
There are phoneboxes here in London providing free Wiki, no phone inside.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 08:32 AM

The things around where I lived were used as lavatories more than for making phone calls.

On a good day for a few hours they smelled of Jeys Fluid - but only for a few hours.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There are phoneboxes here in London providing free Wiki, no phone inside.
That sums it up, d00d.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 09:45 AM

I've seen a few turned into library's, free book exchange and filled with flowers . So nice

I remember dialling the operator to ask the time , I think there was an automated time available but i think you had to pay , ringing the lady was free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 10:07 AM

All the phone boxes in Hull are white. We have our own telephone exchange which is not part of BT, though that may soon change as KCOM is being taken over by a bigger company.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The things around where I lived were used as lavatories more than for making phone calls.

On a good day for a few hours they smelled of Jeys Fluid - but only for a few hours.
That's what I remember most, the smell of wee mixed with Jeyes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've seen a few turned into library's, free book exchange and filled with flowers . So nice

I remember dialling the operator to ask the time , I think there was an automated time available but i think you had to pay , ringing the lady was free
Quite a few of those popping up in Devon too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top