Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 06:55 AM

Re: Dream Job

What a great effort RS well done .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The Besoeker story.
I applied for my first job and got it. A student apprenticeship in the electrical field. Sandwich degree, employed and paid during the vacation periods. Four years of that. And there were two of us doing it at the same time. The company where I was employed wanted one of us to spend time at one of their suppliers to learn about the kit they were installing.

The other guy was initially chosen but didn't want to go as his wife was expecting their first child so, by default, I went. I enjoyed the experience and learned much.

A couple of years later when we got our degrees, the chief engineer called us into his office to explain that he didn't have positions for both of us with the level of qualifications we then had. I, as the younger, was "invited" to go. All very amicable and polite.

The chief engineer of the company I'd visited got to hear of this and offered me a position as a development/commissioning engineer. Well, I got sent all over. Probably because others were less willing and I had no family.

Then a consultant approached me to join him. Initially I declined - I was about to do a commissioning job in Durban. I was there for three months and the job offer remained open at a significant increase in salary. I took it.

A couple of years on, 1972, we started our own company.
We designed and built equipment mostly for industrial plants all around the world.

Eight months in Taiwan, Turkey, weeks in Spain, the Sahara, Malaysia, Hong Kong......and lots of others.

More places than many people will see in a lifetime.
Dream job? Pluses and minuses I guess.

Would I do it again?
In a heartbeat.
Great story Besoker well done too.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2019, 07:03 AM

I have had a dream job.
Not going to put it here .
Suffice to say it was wonderful .
Combining my love of horses with adventure .

Now if I could chose another career it would be as an art restorer or a forensic artist .

I would love to do that ..

When I left school I didn't know what I wanted to do .
The career advisors at school were useless .
Never suggested anything like that but maybe these jobs were not well known then .
They seemed to be stuck on being a teacher or the civil service !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 07:07 AM

Well done all that have gone it alone. My motto is if you don't try you won't succeed, and regret not trying for the rest of your life.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Great stories Besoker and Realspeed. There is nothing more satisfying to read about that someone who has become self-made.

So far:

Business owner: Bought my university's most popular college bar with my brother when we were working on our business degrees. Dream job? Hardly .

Statistician: No one dreams of being a mathematician for a living. Why did I? Nerd city. Dream job? Ummm...nope.

Educator: Nothing better than teaching young minds, especially those in low socioeconomic areas. From Hawai'i to Kansas, I loved every minute of it. Dream job? Only if having a personal life is unimportant. If you are doing the job properly, it means 60+ hours a week because the work matters so terribly much. God bless Rhian .

Editor, educator, mentor astrophysics: Nothing better than looking at the stars, wondering what is out there, and then putting all of these beautiful numbers and algorithms to suppositions to find locks falling open exquisitely. Had I to do it over again, I would have stayed in Hawai'i in my early years and made a career of it. Dream job? You betcha .

Mom: The best, worst, most low-paying, most richly rewarding job there is. I worked really hard to "earn" the position, but I realize now that the shareholders are eternally demanding and don't let you retire. Ever. Dream job? Yes, and nightmare too .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Brilliant, SM!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top