Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:29 PM

The stranger in my mother's bed.

On old lady is lying in a nursing home. She used to be my mother, but I do not know her face.

The eyes that once shone bright are now half closed, dull and listless.
She looks my way but does not see her son. Does she see a stranger? I remind her who I am.

The spark inside her that once shone bright is now a fading speck.

The voice once strong that scolded me, comforted me, encouraged me, is now a faint whisper.

"Water, water," is all she says. The nurse gives her water, but is it what she wants? Is she in pain? Is she trying to tell us something?
Water is in front of her. Is she trying to convey a message known only to her, spoken as the only word that comes to her mind?
We will never know.

"Water, water," is all she says. The nurse gives her water, but is it what she wants?

She is on her final glide path. Every day the slope steepens but we do not know when her beautiful flight will end.
I hope it is soon.
I hope it is a long way off.
I hope it is soon …

I go home, and I cry. My cousin does not see. She will see me cry soon enough, but I do not want to burden her today.

Do not feel sad for me, these are only words on a screen. They are my words. This is my sadness.

On old lady is lying in a nursing home bed. She used to be my mother but I do not know her face.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Re: The stranger in my mother's bed.

Very sad story. Been there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:01 PM

That's heartbreaking Fruitcake.
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:01 PM

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:11 PM

Thinking of you fruity x
I lost my mum to her stroke first
And then again when she could finally rest

The first one was the one that tore me apart
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:12 PM

I've been there too...
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:19 PM

I do feel for you, been there too with my mum x months of awful painful ilness and then end of life dementia, so i will keep you in my prayers and hope you find some little comfort in knowing you are not alone, even tho it feels that way xx
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:22 PM

Fruitcake
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:25 PM

We put on a brave face but the hurt lies deep within, I know how you are feeling, Fruitcake
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Thank you all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top