Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 01:27 AM

Re: New Police idea

I don’t see this as hairdressers spying on women nor that a hairdresser would report you to police because you had an accidental injury.
It’s about raising their awareness of warning signs, teaching them where abused women may turn to for help, which enables them to offer support to an abused woman, whether it’s encouraging a woman to confide in them, encouraging them to report it, giving them information about refuges from domestic violence.

I read this article, which outlines the origins of this idea, and it seemed like a supportive thing to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47386104
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I don’t see this as hairdressers spying on women nor that a hairdresser would report you to police because you had an accidental injury.
It’s about raising their awareness of warning signs, teaching them where abused women may turn to for help, which enables them to offer support to an abused woman, whether it’s encouraging a woman to confide in them, encouraging them to report it, giving them information about refuges from domestic violence.

I read this article, which outlines the origins of this idea, and it seemed like a supportive thing to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47386104
It is creating a divide into the personal relationship women have with a hairdresser or beautician. Instead of naturally flowing the provider of a service is standing back and objectively observing. So the element of relaxation which is a source of refuge in itself is stealthily being replaced with a seed of officiousness. Delegating such responsibility to the public is a way of saving money for essential services.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It is creating a divide into the personal relationship women have with a hairdresser or beautician. Instead of naturally flowing the provider of a service is standing back and objectively observing. So the element of relaxation which is a source of refuge in itself is stealthily being replaced with a seed of officiousness. Delegating such responsibility to the public is a way of saving money for essential services.
From the news item it doesn't appear to be a case of the hairdresser necessarily informing the police, it's more of an awareness campaign showing hairdressers how they could help if their client wished them to, see extracts from text of news item:

"It also made a number of recommendations, including the suggestion of an awareness campaign aimed at hairdressers and beauticians as potential confidants of domestic abuse victims.

But it is also about knowing how to empower clients to call the police … "

I cannot even imagine the sheer terror some of these women (and men too), go through during the average of 37 times they may receive beatings and be psychologically at the mercy of a partner, before they report them to police. These people are probably 'control freaks' who use these methods to completely control their partners.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 11:28 AM

I certainly wouldn't expect my hairdresser to inform on me to the police.

But of course, she's my wife so one can never be sure!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
From the news item it doesn't appear to be a case of the hairdresser necessarily informing the police, it's more of an awareness campaign showing hairdressers how they could help if their client wished them to, see extracts from text of news item:

"It also made a number of recommendations, including the suggestion of an awareness campaign aimed at hairdressers and beauticians as potential confidants of domestic abuse victims.

But it is also about knowing how to empower clients to call the police … "

I cannot even imagine the sheer terror some of these women (and men too), go through during the average of 37 times they may receive beatings and be psychologically at the mercy of a partner, before they report them to police. These people are probably 'control freaks' who use these methods to completely control their partners.

Three questions come to mind here, Baz -

1. I wonder if the police course is compulsory or voluntary?

2. How would men react if their Barber's opted to do this too?

3. Do men confide in their barbers like a lot of women do?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Three questions come to mind here, Baz -

1. I wonder if the police course is compulsory or voluntary?

2. How would men react if their Barber's opted to do this too?

3. Do men confide in their barbers like a lot of women do?
I cut Mr Mags hair and he doesn't confide in me
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I cut Mr Mags hair and he doesn't confide in me

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top