Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Personally I would rather pay the TV licence than a overpriced subscription to Sky or some other private company who can charge what they like and still broadcast the same old biased crap that the BBC do. Not to mention the stranglehold they have on sports.
You are actually paying the licence fee for the receiving equipment no matter what company transmits the programmes, so even if you don't watch the BBC at all, if you have got a TV then the fee is applicable.

The whole board of directors controlling a countries national media service should be made up of an impartial group of people, and the present lot should be put out to pasture. The government should have more of a say about what is being transmitted to the nation. At the end of the day, it's the government who have to deal with the backlash from biased and incorrect reporting.
Except that a SKY/Netflix/etc. subscription is optional, a TV licence isn't. And don't you pay a fee/rental on SKY satellite dishes and receivers?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 04:21 PM

I agree with what some others have said: the TV Tax is to pay for various things such as transmission and distribution equipment. I'm happy to pay a tax for that.

What I do object to is having to pay for a clearly left-wing biased broadcasting organisation that purports to be unbiased and, in addition, pays its senior staff and many of its 'personalities' a king's ransom.

The BBC does not, of course, need to earn its own income through advertising as do all the other programme makers and broadcasters. This gives it carte blanche to produce whatever politically biased programmes it wishes to.

If it was obliged to compete with other TV companies, it would have a rude awakening. It would either have to work harder in producing more popular programmes, avoid their political bias and pay its staff less... or go under.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Great news. Let's hope Boris continues with it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:37 PM

Surely this is just Boris letting the BBC know that they need to shape up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Could be. What I do know is that if the license fee goes, the likes of Lineker will be off to Sky ASAP.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Could be. What I do know is that if the license fee goes, the likes of Lineker will be off to Sky ASAP.
If they're daft enough to pay him.
Of course, I have no idea what he talks about. It isn't cricket, is it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Except that a SKY/Netflix/etc. subscription is optional, a TV licence isn't. And don't you pay a fee/rental on SKY satellite dishes and receivers?
The tv licence is a lot cheaper than sky and I think we get far more for it. Perhaps they should make it a subscription only service.

But I think it's disgraceful that the government appears to be in some sort of stand off with the national broadcaster. It seems to be political manipulation of the population. Use the voters to do your job for you eh?

Putting aside your views of their recent political stance, these channels produce some of our most excellent programmes.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Funny way of doing it. Why not just talk to them direct and leave the public out of it? Or perhaps that would mean actually doing his job!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The tv licence is a lot cheaper than sky and I think we get far more for it. Perhaps they should make it a subscription only service.

But I think it's disgraceful that the government appears to be in some sort of stand off with the national broadcaster. It seems to be political manipulation of the population. Use the voters to do your job for you eh?

Putting aside your views of their recent political stance, these channels produce some of our most excellent programmes.
That's one opinion. Personally, I watch almost nothing on the BBC channels.

And, yes. Make it a subscription service. They'll get all the interested lefties, of course, but I can't think they'd make enough money to support themselves in the manner they presently do!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I've not seen what I would call a good program from the BBC in years.

The last one that came near was Jamaica Inn but that was spoiled with an awful sound track. We reported to having the sub titles on that's how bad it was.

In reality the best of their output is when they broadcast repeats from literally YEARS ago.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top