Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Re: Vertigo ... or BPPV

The 'Doctor' will be along soon.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Can l ask if any of you that suffer with this ailment have had your ears syringed in the past?
I know ear syringing can be connected to the cause of Tinnitus and l wondered if it can attribute to dizziness.
My sister suffers with both and she has her ears syringed.

I’m probably talking a load of nonsense but it does make you wonder?
Art, it happens because Tiny calcium "stones" inside your inner ear canals help you keep your balance. Normally, when you move a certain way, such as when you stand up or turn your head, these stones move around.

Perhaps you should ask a doctor if ear syringing can move the "stones"!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am sure she will as these are known to help, but maybe you are unaware that....

BPPV is the most common cause of vertigo. ... Past research has shown that vitamin D deficiency is linked with the development of vertigo. In fact, scientists have confirmed that vitamin D receptors are located on calcium channel transport systems in the inner ear and help regulate proper calcium balance.

I have sent her a PM as she may not be aware if this.
How can I fail to notice your dedication to pushing Vitamin D Twink ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
How can I fail to notice your dedication to pushing Vitamin D Twink ?
I suffered a vitamin D deficiency for 8 years and until I argued with the doctors, and proved them wrong , they just thought an over the counter supplement would help.
It is all about the NHS cutting prescription costs, but now they are realizing just how important Vit D is in keeping people healthy, so much so that my doctor now sends me for regular bone scans & blood tests to avoid making any mistakes. The lack of Vit D was the most likely cause of my broken wrist taking 10 months to heal.

It wasn't me that thought it would help Morty, I was just passing on the info. It came from scientists who are now discovering how much Vit D contributes to good health, so I thought that Morty woulds like to know about it... after all she has been a friend for a number of years.

One thing I will add , is that I never give medical advice unless it comes from a qualified expert... that is why I suggested that she asked her doctor to arrange the blood test!

If you disagree, that is your choice, but please don't mock my comments because they come from people who are probably far more qualified to judge than either of us!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 06:50 PM

But I've seen you give the same advice to other members .
Vit D is not the be all and end all Twink and certainly not beneficial taken on it's own. We shall have to agree to differ on this ?

Not once was my vertigo lasting many years put down to a vitamin deficiency [ it began when I was 38] but it was certainly cured by the Epley manoeuvre.
Zuleika
North West UK

19-12-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Can l ask if any of you that suffer with this ailment have had your ears syringed in the past?
I know ear syringing can be connected to the cause of Tinnitus and l wondered if it can attribute to dizziness.
My sister suffers with both and she has her ears syringed.

I’m probably talking a load of nonsense but it does make you wonder?
Never !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Morti, my poor piggy.

I will be serious, because I know how really horrible this condition is, as I had it several years ago myself.

I just got up one morning, and went to walk across the bedroom, then suddenly everthing moved and I crashed into the bedroom door and promply slid down the wall and hit the floor.
Quick as that. I was fine when I went to bed.

I remember trying do my exercise class, but when it was time to go home I couldn't get off the floor. People helped me up and I went straight to the doctors.

I was desperate by then, and very firghtened. I couldn't even get on his couch without him holding on to me, as everything round me was moving and spinning.
He said straightaway that it was BPPV, which meant not a thing to me.
He said he knew it was this because my eyes were constantly flickering from side to side - which I wasn't aware of myself.

Apparently it is because the eyes are all over the place and won't stay still, that causes us to lose balance, as we can't focus on anything. The giddiness makes some people very very nauseous too, but I didn't get the sickness with it.

I remember hanging on to walls and work tops at home, or else crawling on all fours if I felt particularly off balance. I remember actually seeing the floor rising up in front of me, like being on a ship in stormy seas and the deck comes up to meet you!

Had I had more knowledge - and sense - at the time, I would have asked the doc if there was anyone there who was trained in the Epley Manoeuvre, but I didn't know about it, and neither did he suggest it to me.

All he did for me was give me some anti-sickness pills, like travel sickness pills they were, and told me to rest.
You're a bit stuffed when you live on your own and can't do anything though!

It eventually went on its own. It got less severe, and happened less often until after about 3 weeks it went away.

I will try and dig out the old info he gave me and let you know if I can find anything useful for you.

Meantime, I just found this video that seems to expain how you perform do this manoeuvre for yourself, but I cannot in all honestly say if it works or not, as I haven't tried it, but have a look and then decide.
Might be safer to have Mr. Piggy with you to make sure you are safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLm76jQg3g

Good luck my friend, keep safe, and really hope you find a way round this soon.

P.S. I take it you have been to the doctors?

P.P.S. Get Mr. Piggy to see if your eyes are eyes are flickering, Mort.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
I do from time to time. It was quite bad after I had cataract surgery on one eye. Not so bad now that I have had both eyes done. My distance vision is fine but for reading or close up work I have reading glasses. The dividing line to wear or not to wear can be a fine dividing line. Today was an example.

I put up a door number sign. Getting the tools out wasn't a problem. No glasses. Marking and drilling the holes in the brickwork, puting in the rawlplugs, screws,spacers etc......a challenge. But it got done and looks good.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:28 AM

I suffer from vertigo too. It's been about 2 years since I had a bad attack but I know it's with me all the time - just hiding.

For instance if I turn around quickly I almost fall over and sometimes when walking I suddenly sway over to one side for no reason. I bet onlookers think I've been drinking.

In it's acute stage I couldn't even turn my head without the room spinning round and wanting to vomit. I was in bed for three days with it but the medication eventually took hold..

I feel so sorry for anybody with this condition.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

20-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
But I've seen you give the same advice to other members .
Vit D is not the be all and end all Twink and certainly not beneficial taken on it's own. We shall have to agree to differ on this ?

Not once was my vertigo lasting many years put down to a vitamin deficiency [ it began when I was 38] but it was certainly cured by the Epley manoeuvre.
Yes we will!
I was not saying that Vit D deficiency is the sole cause , or cure, for BPPV, I was just advising a friend to get her levels checked.
You may not be aware that Vit D is essential to move calcium round the body and, as Vertigo happens when the calcium balls in the inner ear move, I agreed with scientist's findings.
If you don't agree with my posts, feel free to ignore them, but please don't criticize them when they are based on medical facts!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top