Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 02:46 AM

China -political prisoner

How easy is it to forget that some people are not free ,do not even have freedom of conscience .
China the power house is still a brutal repressive regime .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-rights-award
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Re: China -political prisoner

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How easy is it to forget that some people are not free ,do not even have freedom of conscience .

Not our problem.

In any case not that far removed from the good 'ol USofA when you think about it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 07:16 AM

That’s not true and surely it is the problem of humanity .
We buy their trashy stuff because it’s cheap and which inundates the oceans with plastic waste .
Here in this country there is almost too much freedom of speech where dumbos like Lilly Allen and American Megan Markle wail their minuscule issues at the drop of a hat .
We must not forget we are free when so many others do not have this privilege .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 07:29 AM

Freedom without structure is a strange concept, structure is Ok, dependant on who is dishing it out.Imo
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 12:27 AM

We buy their trashy stuff because it’s cheap and which inundates the oceans with plastic waste .
Here in this country there is almost too much freedom of speech where dumbos like Lilly Allen and American Megan Markle wail their minuscule issues at the drop of a hat .
I have not agreed with you on some things Muddy but let me say I am with you 100% on this one. Freedom is such a precious thing. The people that have it the most often appreciate it the least. China is acting now like the big but unconfident, bullied kid who has grown up and wants now to be the bully. Nothing new. Nobody resents a people coming out of poverty and finding affluence and strength as a nation. But everybody resents them when they start throwing their weight around, start infiltrating political, scientific, economic and educational systems of other countries for their own gain and trying to take territory and oceans over that don't and have never belonged to them. They parade their military and arrogantly strut like they are the bravest mob on Earth. But it's only used on it's own people. The rest of the world needs to stop falling for the old "You are racist against Chinese" number. That is total BS. Chinese people are great. It's their current regime that sucks. And AT, sorry mate. It SO is our problem. The US is far from perfect. Neither is Australia and FRance and Germany. And the UK?..well you can answer that yourself. At the moment it seems our bright little neighbour across the Tasman is as close to perfect as a country can get. And they don't oppress or bully anybody; well except when they are in black and demolish them on the rugby field Would I rather live in the US or China??!..dunno about you sport but despite Trump and all..it's a no brainer for me. I'll stay here depsite the bloody fires. If not, I'll see if NZ will have me. And if somebody doesn't like what I say here; wants to delete it or some little nasty is monitoring it. Too bad.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 08:37 AM

I went on a tour of China in November and we were obviously only shown and told those things which had been given the okay by the powers that be. I can see that I personally would hate to live there - the huge numbers of people; the different classifications (and rights) of/for people; pollution; etc etc. All the things which make me uncomfortable because I haven't been brought up with them. Some of the places I visited were horrible and I saw some pretty rough housing, but other places were great! Super-clean, super-big, modern apartments, office buildings, massive train stations, airports, 4 or 5-way highways. The only Chinese I met were our guides who were lovely people, but one in particular was a bit too indoctrinated. They both expressed a wish to visit the UK in the near future and appear to be free to do so.
In the West, we seem to easily condemn countries we don't understand. China has SO MANY people, it CANNOT be a democracy - frightening I know - but I fear that will creep into our so-called democracy too.
The newspaper article refers to someone a bit like Julian Assange - who has also been illegally imprisoned and should be immediately released. If you feel strongly about Ilham Tohti, I'm sure there are groups you can join which are petitioning for his release.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 09:15 AM

China is not perfect but we are subject to a lot of propaganda and we don't always understand a different culture. Yes they do make some trash products but that is when an Western importer asks if they can make a whatchamacallit for $2? Yes, they reply, it'll be absolute rubbish but if that's what you want!
We are noticing a huge rise in Chinese tourists and from my time working part time in the museum, they are delightful , respectful and friendly. When you considered how they were treated during the opium wars by us Westerners it's a wonder they put up with us at all.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2019, 08:55 AM

I agree the opium wars were terrible.
This historical fact has nothing to do with freedom today .
You may have noticed that the people of Hongkong were much happier under the British tenure and are now suffering under this reactionary repressive regime .
I lived in the Far East for nearly a quarter of a century .
I saw nothing in the Chinese culture that was against democracy .
On the contrary the Chinese are great entrepreneurs and business people both which flourish in a atmosphere of democracy not repression and authoritarianism .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2019, 03:08 PM

The political situation in China is not our concern nor should it be.

As for freedom of speech in the UK?

Pffft. I wish.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Speak for yourself AD .
I who have freedom of speech will do the same .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top