Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Sterimar

As I've posted elsewhere, i've had a cold for the past few days, including a blocked and stuffy nose which is annoying and taking ages to clear up

I've seen TV ads for STERIMAR spray - does anyone know anything about it? Or used it?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Re: Sterimar

I have some, it's only old fashioned salt water nasal douche really.
I seem to get more around my face than up my hooter!
It does help a bit, I suppose it's better than steroids, antihistamines or xylometazaline hydrochloride rubbish.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 12:22 AM

I have never used Sterimar, Zulu, but I do use anothe product.

I have discovered salt water nasal baths are excellent for catarrh and blocked noses.
I use a product called NeilMed Nasal Rinse:

https://www.boots.com/neilmed-sinus-rinse-kit-10077009

You have to be careful and follow instuctions and use only boiled water, not just tap water, and the special little satchets that come in the box, but it really works and clears my sinuses after a few days use.
I have even got rid of heavy colds much quicker using this nasal rinse.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 10:49 AM

I have never heard of Sterimar. I wouldn’t like to use a nasal spray, especially with steroids in it. Most of it would trickle down the back of your throat and into your stomach.

If l am congested, I make a hot curry with lots of garlic in it. It blows your head off!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
As I've posted elsewhere, i've had a cold for the past few days, including a blocked and stuffy nose which is annoying and taking ages to clear up

I've seen TV ads for STERIMAR spray - does anyone know anything about it? Or used it?
Its basically sterile saline solution so uses salt (sodium chloride) to shrink inflamed nasal linings. My doc prescribes 'sterinebs' for me which I inhale via my nebuliser and after a night's somewhat disturbed sleep the solution clears all the gunk out from my lungs and tubes. This replaced various chemicals I used to use to clear my respiratory system and it's just as effective. Don't try and make your own though as the solution must be sterile or you could end up with all kinds of lung infections.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 12:40 PM

It’s basically salt water .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 05:34 PM

I bought this stuff back in 2004 when I had sinusitis. I am not sure whether it's any good for a normal cold but it was rubbish for sinusitis. Plus it's very cumbersome to use as you end up with water everywhere. If anything it made me more congested. It was a bit pricey and I regretted buying it.

I personally don't believe in putting anything up your nose as I overdosed on otrivine that year and my sense of smell has never been the same. .

Based on my experiences I wouldn't recommend anything like that because you can irritate the natural nasal membranes and upset the balance. It's good to heal congestion in a systemic way, by eating broth, getting lots of rest and taking extra vitamin C. I like Art's suggestion of a hot curry.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:57 PM

Thanks for your replies

I feel a bit better/clearer today
I don't think I'll try any sprays or irrigation, but I have some Olbas Oil. I haven't had much success in the past, but I'll give it another go tonight

And if that doesn't work, it looks like it'll be prawn vindaloo for Christmas dinner!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Thanks for your replies

I feel a bit better/clearer today
I don't think I'll try any sprays or irrigation, but I have some Olbas Oil. I haven't had much success in the past, but I'll give it another go tonight

The thing is Zulu, by the time you start to see/feel symptoms like a sore throat or blocked nose, you've already had the bug/virus for quite a few days. The symptoms are simply the body naturally reacting to it and are part of its defense mechanism.

The notion that one should knee jerk panic at such symptoms and then go out to buy some pill, potion, cream or whatever to try and combat them is not only a hugely flawed and silly one but quite disadvantageous to your health.

NEVER ever obstruct your body's own health defense mechanisms. Doing so is simply folly and will just prolong the condition and potentially result in more advanced conditioned like pneumonia.

If you have a raised temperature as a result of a cold, don't fight it. It's a vital body defense mechanism. Taking pills like paracetamols etc obstructs the process by forcing the fever down.

In your case, a blocked nose is the body's way of stalling any further invasion of the bug/virus from your nose. The body wants time to kill off the bugs with the white "soldier" cells but if you "unblock" your nose then you reopen the floodgates to your throat and let more virus in from your nasal passages.

Just rest, drink plenty of fluids and leave your body to do its thing. There is NO quicker way to recover than that.

Meanwhile get as much Vitamin D3 as you can (preferebly from sunshine) and eat plenty of Vit C foods and fruits.

ATB
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2019, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

NEVER ever obstruct your body's own health defense mechanisms. Doing so is simply folly and will just prolong the condition and potentially result in more advanced conditioned like pneumonia.
Um, based on that logic people suffering an anaphylactic reaction should not be reaching for the epi pen...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top