Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:47 AM

Re: Dementia

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes there's a lot of research but a cure hasn't been found.

So what is beneficial in taking a blood test that proves you're 'at risk' it if there's nothing that can be done to prevent it?

Until there is a cure, tests are useless!!
A test can tell you if you're at risk. Taking the quiz - which is about what foods you eat regularly - can tell you if you're eating the right foods.

The hint is in the name: FOOD FOR THE BRAIN!

Not just food, but vitamins, minerals, recommendations of what levels of B6, omega 3 etc etc you should aim for! We've already agreed there's lots of research..........the research MUST HAVE DISCOVERED YOU NEED CERTAIN VITAMINS.

This is a quote from my test results:
"Lowering your homocysteine, if above 10 mcmol/l by supplementing high dose B6(20mg), folic acid (800mcg) and B12(500mcg) has been shown to GREATLY REDUCE THE RATE OF BRAIN SHRINKAGE AND MEMORY LOSS in those at risk of Alzheimers"

PLEASE READ THIS TO UNDERSTAND THERE ARE WAYS TO LOWER YOUR RISKS!!!!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

PLEASE READ THIS TO UNDERSTAND THERE ARE WAYS TO LOWER YOUR RISKS!!!!
Yes Ok but once you've got it there's nothing that can slow it down - except the drugs of course.

And if you follow all the advice from this website and you DON'T get dementia, is it because of the advice you've followed or because you weren't going to get it anyway?

There's no way of knowing really.

Why did Margaret Thatcher & Ronald Reagan get it? Was it because they ate the wrong foods ?

Sorry I'm just sceptical about all this but it can't do any harm improving your diet..
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Sorry I'm just sceptical about all this but it can't do any harm improving your diet..
Millions of pounds are spent on research and these are the results so far. Not paying attention to that is akin to crossing a road without using the available pedestrian crossing, under the belief that if you're going to die, you're going to die whether you use the pedestrian crossing or not!!
There's no way of knowing!

I believe the pedestrian crossing is there to help you and reduce your risks of being hit by a vehicle.

I believe the available research on food and vitamin supplements is there to help you and reduce your risks of dementia.

There's no way of knowing............. but only one makes sense!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 11:32 AM

We thought my mother had dementia but it was a newly prescribed drug that caused the symptoms. We got her taken off them and she's fine.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
We thought my mother had dementia but it was a newly prescribed drug that caused the symptoms. We got her taken off them and she's fine.
Thank goodness, that must have been a scary time.

Carol, I'm so sorry your husband has the cruel disease. You are a wonderful wife doing the best you know how and from what I have seen you are taking real good care of that man of yours. I'm so glad for your husband that he has you.

Remember to take care of you too, I do hope you get some 'me' time because I know from experience how draining it can be to be a carer for someone with dementia although it will be much more draining emotionally for you as he is your partner. I know you don't expect any reward or recognition but I as your friend truly do salute you.
Big hugs
x x x x
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Aw thanks Queenie. xx

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top