Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:13 PM

Re: Tap water in the uk

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Well, I smoke too, so I'l take my chance with the water. Devon's water tastes nice anyway.
What I simply can't understand is why people use tobacco KNOWING that it IS a carcinogen and a major cause of emphysema as well as other cancers not only to themselves but also to other folk because of "second hand smoke" etc.

I just can't get my mind around it.

Even telling oneself that "at my age why worry" the harm being done to people nearby should be more than justification enough?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
This has been increasingly the case since the early 1970s and is due, in no small part, to the increasing use of contraceptive pills. Scientific studies have shown that the increasing oestrogen levels are causing male fish to change sex.
Not only is this affecting fish in that way, but also male humans and their ability to reproduce as effectively as in the past:

https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-an...-in-the-water/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've had bladder and kidney cancer. This was put down to smoking. However, I haven't smoked for more than thirty years now and there's a slow growing tumour inside my remaining kidney. Hmm..! just think, if I'd have known the cause was in the water, I could have been enjoying my fags for all these years.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Good find that Baz
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:02 PM

When an aircraft can dump half it's fuel on top of a school, there's no point worrying about our water.

Life kills us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What I simply can't understand is why people use tobacco KNOWING that it IS a carcinogen and a major cause of emphysema as well as other cancers not only to themselves but also to other folk because of "second hand smoke" etc.

I just can't get my mind around it.

Even telling oneself that "at my age why worry" the harm being done to people nearby should be more than justification enough?
You obviously don't smoke, it is very hard to stop, specially if like me you have been a smoker for over 60 years, no, we didn't know it was bad for us at first, in those days everyone smoked.
As to our water, I have been drinking it all my life & so far I am fine.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Our tap water sometimes has an awful taste at times, it evens spoils the taste of a pot of tea on some days. I always keep bottles of Volvic water in the house now for anyone wanting just a glass of water.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Well, I smoke too, so I'l take my chance with the water. Devon's water tastes nice anyway.
Tiff, I agree with you there - Devon water tastes a lot better to our water.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Our tap water sometimes has an awful taste at times, it evens spoils the taste of a pot of tea on some days. I always keep bottles of Volvic water in the house now for anyone wanting just a glass of water.
Is it worse when boiled in a kettle? If so, it could be down to the use of low quality flexi hoses somewhere on the system.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-01-2020, 04:24 PM

I have also fitted a filter but it's not so much for the taste but the little black bits we get occasionally. Still, it's better than third world countries.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top