Join for free
Page 24 of 44 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 01:50 PM

Re: Up The Garden Path

Tanks Kazz, the first tonne and a half in place, time to order some more.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Looking great Spitty! 👍
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Tanks Kazz, the first tonne and a half in place, time to order some more.

That is going to look really good.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 08:49 PM

The soil looks good,the youngest is over in Lichfield their soil is sandy,it the new stuff the same?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 09:19 PM

It's sandy alright, when the geezer comes tomorrow, it will ask where it s sourced, very few stones in it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Over to the other side now, to be able to cut the existing lawn whilst I lay the small lawn, I needed to sharpen up the edges and remove any stray stones to protect the mower blade, with this in mind, and to be able to set a proper level for the topsoil a baton is being inserted at a level of one inch lower than the border pavers and three feet away from them. The zone created will be cleared of all vegetation prior to building up the soil level, and compacted accordingly, when this is achieved the remaining (level) Lawn will be scraped off and topsoil applied to the same level. At this point I can decide to lay the turf myself or let a contractor do it in the knowledge all levels have been made to my satisfaction.

This photo shows the present grass not removed and the potential depth of topsoil required. Its a bit to hot to faff about with this today.

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 01:53 PM

You could, of course, make that soakway a bit bigger (deeper?), and place stone stones which you could rake up into it, and then place a drain grid on top (mortared into place for a bit of stability).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-08-2020, 03:53 PM

That's the plan Dex, going to fill the soakaway with pea shingle, didn't want the soakaway too big because it will only process rain water when the Water Butt is full, normally this won't be the case because the water will be used, just fitted the water diverter (the square one from Screwfix) so let it rain.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-08-2020, 05:35 PM

This is the depression at its worse, the bottom of the baton is the finished height of topsoil, which is 8 inches below level.

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 11:24 PM

Hi Spitty. Not that you're likely to do it, but if it were me I'd be inclined to dig a trench (maybe 1-1.5 feet deep) along that border and bung the sods of the existing lawn down (green side down) there and use the spoil of the trench to cover it up as well as some of the sublayer for the new lawn. That way you don't have to pay for a skip and will also save a few quid on topsoil for both the border and under the new turf.

I'd also recommend sprinking some pre-turf fertiliser on the new topsoil. From memory, you should really leave it a few weeks with the soil and fertiliser down before laying turf to allow any obvious weeds to show their ugly little heads and remove accordingly. Laying turf in September is an ideal time since the ground is still warm enough for initial growth, plus you're less likely to walk on it over the following wet months.

No doubt you've done all of the research anyway and I'm just advising on how to suck eggs. But, hey ho...

Page 24 of 44 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top