Join for free
Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Milk delivered in bottles to your front door
Mine is still delivered that way.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Toasted sandwich maker you put over the gas burner on the stove, before electric toasters were invented

Electric meters you had to put 50p coins in, but if you used too much electricity the money meter box would be full and you would have to call out the meter man to get it emptied before the last 50p ran out otherwise electric would just cut off and could not fit anymore 50p's in.

Granada TV Rentals: If you couldn't afford to own your own TV, you could rent one. Every major shopping centre at the time would have had a Granada Rentals shop. My whole childhood we had a rentals TV.

Chicaboo toy

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Toasted sandwich maker you put over the gas burner on the stove, before electric toasters were invented

Electric meters you had to put 50p coins in, but if you used too much electricity the money meter box would be full and you would have to call out the meter man to get it emptied before the last 50p ran out otherwise electric would just cut off and could not fit anymore 50p's in.

Granada TV Rentals: If you couldn't afford to own your own TV, you could rent one. Every major shopping centre at the time would have had a Granada Rentals shop. My whole childhood we had a rentals TV.

Chicaboo toy

I've still got one of those, they are vintage toys now.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

Chicaboo toy

when our electric man used to come empty the meter it often had buttons in...………..the electric man used to give mum them back to use again lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Hot buttered toast done on an open fire with a toasting fork.......And a red face for the next half an hour....

And Liberty Bodices....

Yep. I remember both of those, Foxy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I wore a vest and a liberty bodice on top and grey fleecy knickers for school. I didn’t ever have any with a pocket. I think it was to keep your hanky in!

In the winter, l wore brown leather snow boots that my mother had hammered studs into the soles on a last.
I hated that clip clopping as l walked to school. They were great for skids though!

I still have the last, it’s at my front door
!

We had navy blue fleecy knickers Art, the posher kids had the grey ones with pockets.

I still have a 'Last' too. I use it to prop my gate open.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Probably not completely extinct, but I doubt if many homes will have these now -

A tea caddy for loose tea, and frequently a sort of special scoop - cum - spoon for measuring the tea
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 11:24 PM

A lavatory cistern fixed near the ceiling with a long downpipe into the bowl. A long chain with a rubber handle on the end to pull. The noise it made.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 11:53 PM

I won a Baby competition, not sure what type, but, my Sister (now departed) ripped my certificate up, sis, you are forgiven, certificates are contentious anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-11-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A lavatory cistern fixed near the ceiling with a long downpipe into the bowl. A long chain with a rubber handle on the end to pull. The noise it made.

Mart, my Nan's might have been posh then, because she had a wooden handle on her chain.

And don't forget the cut up squares of newspaper hanging on a bit of string too.

Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top