Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 10:25 PM

Nematodes?

Just wondering whether anyone has any successful experience of using these to control pests. I've been advised that they are good for getting rid of slugs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 10:38 PM

Re: Nematodes?

I remember that Mups tested these so she might be able to advise you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember that Mups tested these so she might be able to advise you.
Thanks! As an alternative I have been advised to cut slugs in half or stick them in the compost bin.... apparently otherwise they do have a homing instinct but is that really true?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 11:00 PM

I can’t think what sadist would advise cutting a living creature in half .
My compost bin was full of slugs - great big ones last winter they seem to live there very happily.
Kindest thing is to pick them up and take them at least a mile away and let them loose .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I can’t think what sadist would advise cutting a living creature in half .
My compost bin was full of slugs - great big ones last winter they seem to live there very happily.
Kindest thing is to pick them up and take them at least a mile away and let them loose .
It's probably the least cruel way to kill a slug. They don't really suffer. I just cannot bear to do it.

In terms of the compost bins, ours are in full sunlight so in summer they will burn alive. This is why I stopped putting them in there. Last year it was more snails than slugs and I put netting up. They then were caught in the netting which was just as nasty. I was thinking of looking for netting that has more dense gaps so they cannot get between them.

Then I was advised about these nematodes. I had a quick look at the net and there's conflicting information.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 11:05 AM

How do you know they don’t suffer ?
The slugs in my compost bin went there of their own accord .
Nematodes eat them from the inside .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 12:15 PM

The best way is to get a couple of thrushes or blackbirds to call
every morning, or failing that sprinkle salt on them!
Donkeyman!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 12:37 PM

There are thousands of slugs in our gardens. I have reduced mine considerably over the years by collecting them in a bucket by torchlight and taking them down the lane and leaving them as a treat for the birds.

I think it is snails that make their way back to a garden rather than slugs, the slugs I remove would find it difficult to return there are quite a number of barriers in the way.

When I first started collecting them (warm damp nights are the best) I was picking up quarter of a half a bucket some nights, now I am down to half a dozen.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 12:49 PM

I doubt if being eaten alive from the inside will not cause great suffering.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-12-2019, 12:59 PM

No one loves a slug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top