Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:15 PM

Thrillers & Murder Mystery Worth Reading

I've got into reading crime and murder mystery at the moment. Badly addicted actually ..

I'm not so much into the modern cutting edge forensics but more anything with a bit of a historical slant, especially set in the UK.
I'm really enjoying Kate Ellis at the moment with Detective Wesley Peterson and his friend, archaeologist Neil Watson. She manages to create a real twist of past and present. Sometimes quite quirky.

Oh ..and I liked Peter James.

Can anyone recommend any good reads?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Re: Thrillers & Murder Mystery Worth Reading

Elly Griffiths' Dr Ruth Galloway series are good reads.

Peter Robinson's DCI Alan Banks novels are cracking good reads. If you ever watched the TV adaptations, don't worry, they're no where near as good as the books.

Stuart MacBride's DI Logan McRae novels are very good (and very funny in parts).
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:24 PM

Thanks Percy, I shall add those to my ' to read list'.

It's funny you should mention DCI Alan Banks as I trotted home with one of them today from the library to see if it was any good. You must be psychic.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Yeah ... Peter James and Peter Robinson, read them all.

Ian Rankin's Rebus is another. I used to love those.

Alex Gray's Detective William Lorimer series set in Glasgow.

Graham Hurley's Portsmouth cop Joe Faraday.

I don't read so much now, especially this kind of thing, so I'm not sure some of these series are still running.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Thanks d00d ... this is great. I'm loving all these recommendations as there are so many thriller/crime/murders/mystery it's a bit overwhelming.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 09:02 PM

I’ve read so many good ones recently I’d have to thumb through my note book of borrowings.

I read a lot of Kate Ellis, and always look forward to Peter James.

Since moving to Suffolk I have discovered lots of new authors, and different books, and enjoyed so many. I spent the weekend gone just reading reading reading.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

13-01-2020, 09:09 PM

I love reading too ... I'm about to go and curl up with a book now, and a cuppa coffee and a bar of choccy.

Kate Ellis at the moment .. but I'm adding all these to my list as I'm a quick reader.
It's a genre I've never bothered with before and I'm amazed just how many authors are out there.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 11:44 PM

Another writer that you might like is Joy Ellis. Her books are set in the Fens of Lincolnshire. She has two main series each set in a different fictional town: DI Nikkie Galena is one series - about 10 books I think - and DI Jackman - 5 books. It's best to work through the books in order because each book refers to events in the previous one.

There is another shorter series of hers that I have yet to read: Matt Ballard - there are just two in that series so far.

Then of course there is Val McDermid - a brilliant crime writer - she has written loads of books including those upon which the TV series 'Wire in the Blood' is based. I haven't read all of hers yet but the ones I have read I have enjoyed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 04:26 AM

You could do a lot worse than reading Jane Harper's novels The Dry, The Lost Man and Force of Nature.

Terrific mysteries, you can read them in any order though there is a common character in the form of a Federal policeman, they are great thrillers and once you start reading very hard to put down. The author has the ability to make you see the scenery so vividly that feel like you are there.

Wonderful stories. I was not much of a mystery/thriller reader either until I started reading Val Mcdermid but Jane Harper brings a whole new dimension to the genre.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 05:41 AM

When in the UK I used to read lots of Reginald Hill. Like Dalziel and Pascoe as on the TV but he did other stuff too.And there's Cadfael by Ellis Peters if you want to go right back in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top