Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:54 PM

Re: Angry about hedges!

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
The overhanging foilage belongs to her neighbours. Strictly speaking she is not allowed to keep/dispose of any hanging branches. She is quite within the law to do as I suggest. She has already approached neighbour's about her concerns. They have chosen to turn a blind eye. What, exactly, is she expected to do?
Either speak to them and ask them what they want doing with the cuttings, or drop a note through their doors.

Think that slinging them back over the fence is more likely to antagonise them. No need to add to any disharmony.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
The overhanging foilage belongs to her neighbours. Strictly speaking she is not allowed to keep/dispose of any hanging branches. She is quite within the law to do as I suggest. She has already approached neighbour's about her concerns. They have chosen to turn a blind eye. What, exactly, is she expected to do?

I must say I thought the same as you Takahashi. In fact I thought we had to return them to whoever owned them, else it can be construed as theft?

I have just done the same here actually, but only with a small amount of greenery, so if I don't post any more you will know it is because I have been arrested!

Incidentally, I did pop a note through the man's door asking if he could possibly cut his greenery down a bit, or would he mind if I did, wrote my phone number on the note, but he totally ignored me, so that is why I cut it myself.
I can't afford to have skips or pay people to take it away, especially when it's not even my shrubbery!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Right, this is from one side, not all of it just one corner,I've been putting rubbish there as I'm getting ready to plant a wildflower lawn when I get some help.

This is back fence bordering private house

Bamboo nextdoor other side:

Could you post a better picture of the plant in the foreground of picture number 5. The one with the clump of ivy in the background. It looks like it may be Japanese Knot Weed. In which case the neighbours have a big problem!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Right, this is from one side, not all of it just one corner,I've been putting rubbish there as I'm getting ready to plant a wildflower lawn when I get some help.

This is back fence bordering private house

Bamboo nextdoor other side:
What a lovely garden

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Could you post a better picture of the plant in the foreground of picture number 5. The one with the clump of ivy in the background. It looks like it may be Japanese Knot Weed. In which case the neighbours have a big problem!
That plant is on the op's side of the fence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:03 AM

Commiserations Tessa I not only have my neighbour's Leylandii hedge at the bottom of my garden that I trim myself most of the time with difficulty, (he does the top once a year) but also a dirty word in my house bamboo

I moved my raised beds away from the fence and laid a lined gravel path to avoid the bamboo but it still manages to break through in places .

My neighbour has his shed next to the bamboo and I am told he has just had to replace the shed floor because the bamboo had pushed up the floor 'the biter bit'
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Commiserations Tessa I not only have my neighbour's Leylandii hedge at the bottom of my garden that I trim myself most of the time with difficulty, (he does the top once a year) but also a dirty word in my house bamboo

I moved my raised beds away from the fence and laid a lined gravel path to avoid the bamboo but it still manages to break through in places .

My neighbour has his shed next to the bamboo and I am told he has just had to replace the shed floor because the bamboo had pushed up the floor 'the biter bit'
Bamboo can be a real pain if no effort has been made to contain its root system.

Indeed, the Japanese used bamboo in a particularly nasty way as a means of torture. They'd cut it down and tie someone down on top of the stems. Bamboo stops at nothing and would, over a relatively short period grow through the person being tortured.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
That plant is on the op's side of the fence.

Ah I thought it was growing through the fence.
In either case it could be a problem.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Ah I thought it was growing through the fence.
In either case it could be a problem.
Yep. A surveyor spotted some in the garden of my parent's house when we were selling it. Cost us a few thousand to have it treated and we had to drop £90k in the selling price.

Fortunately, it had caused no structural problems.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:07 PM

You had to drop 90k ..... please tell me that was a typo.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top