Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:59 PM

Re: London brexit talks end early too ??

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Untill now boris never answered a pmq question, and it didn't upset jrm or his research group. Was this one about the leaked truss lettre?
It has been suggested elsewhere that the HMRC system not working now and not by the end of the year, indicates boris' expects to get a trade deal (last minute).
I really don't want to be rude but I "tried" to watch some PMQs and from my point of view listening to B.Johnson is a tour de force as he never answers any question at all. At least not in that way that his answer has anything to do with the question(s) being asked before.

But that is how politicians talk. If you ask them "what color has my shirt?" after 180 seconds of talking-and-saying-nothing you fall asleep or have forgotten the question.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I completely agree.

There is no point in continuing any discussions as there is not going to be any agreement on anything.

I see it this way. I'm not sure whether there is any obligation for us to continue a nominal 'transition' period if there are to be no further discussions. Why should we continue to pay to be members of this corrupt organisation when it is of no benefit to us?

No. We should just walk away now and save not only our valuable time, but also our badly needed money.
Are you also just walking away from other contracts (24-months gym or 12-months mobile phone or 48-months car leasing or other time-bound contracts) if you feel that you don't need them anymore and
don't get benefit from them?

If you do: cool, in Germay you will face legal problems if you do.
Germany

09-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I see that our favourite alleged criminal boss of the European Central Bank has been talking to the Financial Times about how bad things are going to get for the EU unless it signs an FTA with us.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...it-trade-talks
Good evening,

the UK left the EU for their own reasons and are not backing down on their red lines during negotiations. That is fine and their right. The EU has the same right.

For a casual observer the decision not to agree on a trade agreement might seem stupid but as the UK has good reasons for deciding this way the EU has their own good reasons.

So everything is fine, do you agree?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Good evening,

the UK left the EU for their own reasons and are not backing down on their red lines during negotiations. That is fine and their right. The EU has the same right.

For a casual observer the decision not to agree on a trade agreement might seem stupid but as the UK has good reasons for deciding this way the EU has their own good reasons.

no, no, no! We need them much more than they need us! If they don't magnanimously grant us a trade deal we are up shitcreek without a paddle! But don't tell them, it would give away our game at the negotiations.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:07 PM

Good evening,

As l stated in the OP, things are going really well imo?
I personally would prefer to leave right away because to continue
would be to allow the EU to continue to follow their strategy of
dragging the negotiations out as long as they can in the hope that
the remainers can contrive a scheme to turn over everything we
have struggled to achieve so far !
But no doubt Boris has good reasons to follow the route we are
taking in delaying our exit till the end of the year?
Probably some legal EU bullshyte? Exactly one of the reasons for us
leaving!
We are not only angry at the EU tactics so far but also at our own
previous governments of earlier times for being so stupid as to
commit us this farce for so many years and to then have the brass
neck to try and convince us we were better off when all the evidence
was to the contrary!!
I dont need to list the things that were wrong as it has all been
stated many times allready in this forum!!
Like yourself l expected to leave the club within less than a year?
That it has taken 4yrs l find intolerable, and l never forget the first
thing Old Barney said on hearing the british publics decision after
the referendum result was, " The british public WILL PAY for this!!"

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:08 PM

Are you also just walking away from other contracts (24-months gym or 12-months mobile phone or 48-months car leasing or other time-bound contracts) if you feel that you don't need them anymore and
don't get benefit from them?

If you do: cool, in Germay you will face legal problems if you do.
I have no such binding contracts.

The one exception is my energy supplier which, should I choose to leave before my contract is up next May, will cost me £60.

It is quite possible that I could find a more competitive quote that would save me more than £60, in which case it would cost me nothing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:15 PM

Good evening,

I agree completely. That is what I have said all along.

We leave without a deal as soon as possible. No more pointless discussions, no more messing about and achieving nothing. Just leave and stop our payments.

If the EU wants a deal thereafter, great. They meet our requirements and then 'yes'.
If they don't, 'no'. We have the rest of the world with which to trade.

A bonus: the world has now seen how difficult it has been for us to escape from their clutches. I wonder how other countries will think about that.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
As l stated in the OP, things are going really well imo?

That it has taken 4yrs l find intolerable, and l never forget the first
thing Old Barney said on hearing the british publics decision after
the referendum result was, " The british public WILL PAY for this!!"

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
But donks, look at all the measures the UK is taking to counter the economic effects of covid. Ultimately, the british public will pay for all the money now pumped into the economy.

The same with brexit. Economic hits from brexit will, one way or the other, be paid for by the british public. That is how it works.
Barnier only stated a fact, as he knew that brexit has backlashes.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 04:13 AM

Hi

There is a vital difference between Brexit and Covid.

Brexit was a democratic decision, some, like me, voted because they did not like the way the EU was going.

We were prepared to accept the financial consequences.

A Common Market is fine, the EU is not.

Unfortunately commonsense is not something Politicians indulge in.

It is my view that both UK and EU Politicians are being stupid with their Red Lines.

There will be financial consequences for both sides, the object of the exercise should have been to minimise those consequences for the ordinary working Voters in both the EU and the UK.

The stupidity of Politicians on both sides should never be underestimated.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:00 AM

From a negotiation point of view I think the first mistake that Thereaa May made led the EU to think that the UK would be a pushover in future talks and that has impacted on their position today.

If I remember correctly the Article 50 document states the Withdrawal Agreement and future relationship, including a trade deal, should be negotiated at at the same time. Theresa May asked for this but the EU refused. They were intent on dragging it out by agreeing the WA first and then moving on to trade talks. Another example of the EU ignoring their own rules when it suits them. From that moment on they never took her seriously and we all know what happened next. The EU knew, as we all did, that her "no deal is better than a bad deal" was nothing but an empty threat.

With the change of government last December the EU failed to recognise there had been a seismic shift in the UK's negotiationg tactics. Also, it was relatively easy for the EU to keep the 27 on board during the WA talks. Trade talks are a different ball game with the individual states having different priorities.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top