Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Re: Daisies & Sunflowers

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mups, how on earth did they come up with the name of Superbum for a beautiful daisy like that?

Is yours growing in the ground or in a pot? My garden is small and I was wondering if it would be too big for it. I really like it though!

60 tubs and pots! It's a wonder the dogs have space to move around in your garden!
My one (whatever it is) has grown very large.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My one (whatever it is) has grown very large.
How long have you had yours, LD?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:05 PM

How long have you had yours, LD?
This is the second year. This is it when I first planted it out (on the right)

Here's a pic after one year

Even bigger this year. i think as Mups says, it needs to be divided
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Wow! It's quite a fast grower then ...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-07-2020, 10:10 PM

Wow! It's quite a fast grower then ...
yes and it has to be staked and tied up too, otherwise it just flops. i do love it but it did smother a few other plants which have disappeared. I would think it would be great in a large pot though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:12 PM

Mups, how on earth did they come up with the name of Superbum for a beautiful daisy like that?

Is yours growing in the ground or in a pot? My garden is small and I was wondering if it would be too big for it. I really like it though!

60 tubs and pots! It's a wonder the dogs have space to move around in your garden!

I agree, it certainly is a strange name, Mags. I expect it causes a lot of amusement.

My Daisy is in the ground, I would think it spreads too much for a tub - you'd need a bath sized tub.

I think if you got one and it grew too big, you could always lift it and divide it into smaller clumps early spring before it gets going too much?

My pots and tubs are taking over, I admit. Some are out the front garden and some out the back. I think they breed overnight when I'm not looking.

I suppose when I am with them every day I didn't notice the numbers gradually sneaking up over the years, but other people remark on it when they come in.
I keep saying 'No more plants' then I suddenly see something I love and can't live without!

Winter's a bit of a pain though, as a lot of them have to be bubble wrapped.

Oh well, I suppose there's worse vices.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-07-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, it certainly is a strange name, Mags. I expect it causes a lot of amusement.

My Daisy is in the ground, I would think it spreads too much for a tub - you'd need a bath sized tub.

I think if you got one and it grew too big, you could always lift it and divide it into smaller clumps early spring before it gets going too much?

My pots and tubs are taking over, I admit. Some are out the front garden and some out the back. I think they breed overnight when I'm not looking.

I suppose when I am with them every day I didn't notice the numbers gradually sneaking up over the years, but other people remark on it when they come in.
I keep saying 'No more plants' then I suddenly see something I love and can't live without!

Winter's a bit of a pain though, as a lot of them have to be bubble wrapped.

Oh well, I suppose there's worse vices.

When is the best time to divide them Mups? Is it in the Spring?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
yes and it has to be staked and tied up too, otherwise it just flops. i do love it but it did smother a few other plants which have disappeared. I would think it would be great in a large pot though.

Your flowers look very pretty Dongles.

Yes, I have to put supports in mine to, else they tend to flop over a bit.

This is quite a good read if you are thinking of dividing yours, and it shows your sort of Daisy too:

http://www.mainegardenideas.com/divi...a-daisies.html

There is also a very pretty lemon one same as yours, I like it but am going to be very firm and not have anything else!

Eek! Make me look away - now! . . . .

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

20-07-2020, 10:34 PM

Imagine going into a Garden Centre and asking if they had a Superbum

I think I'd better give that one a miss I'm looking for perennials that grow no taller than 1ft ...... planting up the garden with annuals every year is getting a bit much for me now, I need something that isn't going to be so much work.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-07-2020, 10:47 PM

Mags, Sarah Raven does some beautiful plants.
Have a look at her perennials, see if anything takes your fancy.
You like the Agapanthus don't you, well they are not all big tall ones, there are some very pretty small ones too, and they do well in tubs:

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/p...ls-for-cutting

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top