Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2020, 11:59 PM

Re: Oxford University's vaccine looks promising

Some of the changes aren't so bad. I've enjoyed working from home. I've enjoyed the break from the rat race.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 12:30 AM

Hi

Apologies for pouring cold water on things.

Many vaccines get to this stage.

Only 1 in 10 prove to be suitable.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 07:10 AM

It would be great if it was though
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Am I the only one who mis really worried, about the introduction of an Anti-Virus, on the basis that so may appear to be in a reckless race to get there first?

There's so much money in it (although the drug companies are probably putting the cure before the money) that the opportunities to go too early are very obvious.

Still, I applaud those who queue up to be guinea pigs!

I like to stand just behind the last person in the queue!

OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 02:57 PM

On average, it takes 7 years to develop a vaccine from scratch.

Although there is a need for speed, let's hope that in this case no corners are cut with this one.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Am I the only one who mis really worried, about the introduction of an Anti-Virus, on the basis that so may appear to be in a reckless race to get there first?

There's so much money in it (although the drug companies are probably putting the cure before the money) that the opportunities to go too early are very obvious.

Still, I applaud those who queue up to be guinea pigs!

I like to stand just behind the last person in the queue!

No ... you're not alone. I think the same.
I'd feel more comfortable if they came up with an effective treatment that reduced the symptoms and ruled out the risk of ventilation by the use of already tried and tested drugs.
I'd go for that over a vaccine any day.
This way there seems to be little time to analyse any long term risk or side effects.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
No ... you're not alone. I think the same.
I'd feel more comfortable if they came up with an effective treatment that reduced the symptoms and ruled out the risk of ventilation by the use of already tried and tested drugs.
I'd go for that over a vaccine any day.
Vaccines have been around since the beginning of the 20th century. They've drastically reduced the number of new cases of viral diseases such as polio, measles, and chickenpox. In addition, vaccines can prevent such infections such as the flu, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, human papillomavirus (HPV), and others.

However, the treatment of viral infections has proved more challenging. For some viral diseases, such as herpes simplex virus infections, HIV/AIDS, and influenza, antiviral medications have become available, but drug-resistant microbes have been created as a result.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 03:34 PM

A vaccine sounds great but I'm not sure if I would want to be one of the first to try it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Vaccines have been around since the beginning of the 20th century. They've drastically reduced the number of new cases of viral diseases such as polio, measles, and chickenpox. In addition, vaccines can prevent such infections such as the flu, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, human papillomavirus (HPV), and others.

However, the treatment of viral infections has proved more challenging. For some viral diseases, such as herpes simplex virus infections, HIV/AIDS, and influenza, antiviral medications have become available, but drug-resistant microbes have been created as a result.

Vaccines are fantastic .... they've just about eradicated a great many diseases , life threatening diseases but there have also been one or two well known mishaps ...... such as Thalidomide.

Do I think the pharmaceutical companies will be rushing to get out a viable vaccine ?
You bet I do.... Aside from the obvious health and welfare of the world I'm sure there's also a great deal of rivalry due to profits, pipping the competition at the post. Millions, even billions, will be made over this.
I hope no corners are cut.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

22-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A vaccine sounds great but I'm not sure if I would want to be one of the first to try it.
I'll go after you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top