Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 05:46 PM

Re: Good News for Doctors, Dentists, Police and Armed Forces

Why are they getting a pay rise above the rate of inflation when austerity like we've never known before will soon be on the cards?

And why are teachers included?
Quote: Teachers will receive the largest overall increase at 3.1%, while doctors and dentists will be given rises of 2.8%.

Aside from a handful who manned the schools to care for key workers kids the rest of them have been on holiday since March, idling around like everyone else stuck inside by lockdown .. and will be until September.

And dentists?
My dentist shut in March. I'm waiting to have a filling done and they booked me in for September as they don't do fillings ... the technical reason was ... 'with drilling there'll be stuff flying about in your mouth, so no can do'.

I don't really see some of these as frontline workers deserving of financial recompense.
I'd have thought care workers, often in private care homes, and delivery drivers who drove the extra mile would warrant some kind of thanks and even then, I'm wary of further government expenditure with almost 2 trill national debt to rein in.

The nation is as indebted to the army of volunteers who ran errands for those self-isolating .. though I understand Matt Hancock was thinking of giving them a Blue Peter like medal.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 08:06 PM

Hi

There is no new funding for these pay rises, the money has to be found within existing Budgets.

Put simply, it means cuts as pay is the biggest element in these Budgets.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Why are they getting a pay rise above the rate of inflation when austerity like we've never known before will soon be on the cards?

And why are teachers included?
Quote: Teachers will receive the largest overall increase at 3.1%, while doctors and dentists will be given rises of 2.8%.

Aside from a handful who manned the schools to care for key workers kids the rest of them have been on holiday since March, idling around like everyone else stuck inside by lockdown .. and will be until September.

And dentists?
My dentist shut in March. I'm waiting to have a filling done and they booked me in for September as they don't do fillings ... the technical reason was ... 'with drilling there'll be stuff flying about in your mouth, so no can do'.

I don't really see some of these as frontline workers deserving of financial recompense.
I'd have thought care workers, often in private care homes, and delivery drivers who drove the extra mile would warrant some kind of thanks and even then, I'm wary of further government expenditure with almost 2 trill national debt to rein in.

The nation is as indebted to the army of volunteers who ran errands for those self-isolating .. though I understand Matt Hancock was thinking of giving them a Blue Peter like medal.
On the plus side, our kids won't have been indoctrinated with left-wing bile and anti-British propaganda while they've been in isolation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
On the plus side, our kids won't have been indoctrinated with left-wing bile and anti-British propaganda while they've been in isolation.
You're forgetting the BBC Judd.....
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Overpaid company directors rapidly become unpaid ex company directors, multinationals are run in a legal and tax efficient way and hedge fund managers have to earn their salaries and bonuses or they are out on their ear.
I detect a slight lemon flavour to those remarks.

1. There can be no possible justification for the pay awards bosses have given themselves since the Thatcher [spit] era. Bonuses and pay-awards should be in line with productivity and success; bosses have paid themselves more even when they have failed. That is clearly wrong - and you must know it;

2. If by "legal and tax-efficient" you mean straining every nerve to avoid (and sometimes evade)paying their fair share of UK taxes, then I can't dispute that. But if the UK is good enough to make money in, it should be good enough to pay taxes in. The less the big firms (and wealthy individuals pay) the more the rest of us have to cough-up to make the shortfall. Unless you're some sort of masochist who enjoys paying more than his fair share of tax, your defence of the nefarious tax-dodgers is surprising, to say the least;

3. On hedge funds, see Simon Lack, The Hedge Fund Mirage (2011). Every book I've ever read on investing says the same thing about hedge funds: they are the run by semi-crooks who fool the greedy & gullible wealthy into parting with massive feeds for massive under-performance.

You are a rascal, AT!
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:36 AM

Armed Forces 2% ....from the existing budget....
No doubt the Dom Cumming plan to reduce the Armed forces by 20,000 will help.
In the event of yet another conflict helping the US in some sandpit far far away the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides will be mobilised along with the Neverathon Gliding Club for top cover.The Royal Navy will borrow some ships from the. French
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is no new funding for these pay rises, the money has to be found within existing Budgets.

Put simply, it means cuts as pay is the biggest element in these Budgets.
That's the bit that stuck out to me too. This means cuts in other areas of the services their employers provide.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 10:15 AM

The way I see things might be differnt, but teachers were doing online lessons for pupils, setting homework and marking through the 3 months or more. So they weren't really idylling .It was from all accounts quite tasking.

With regard to key workers in the care system, they are on low incomes, but many get subsidised with certain benefits. If they had an increase in wages, their benefits would be reduced and some may end without benefits and be worse off due to paying more in taxes and NI, pensions etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
I detect a slight lemon flavour to those remarks.

1. There can be no possible justification for the pay awards bosses have given themselves since the Thatcher [spit] era. Bonuses and pay-awards should be in line with productivity and success; bosses have paid themselves more even when they have failed. That is clearly wrong - and you must know it;

2. If by "legal and tax-efficient" you mean straining every nerve to avoid (and sometimes evade)paying their fair share of UK taxes, then I can't dispute that. But if the UK is good enough to make money in, it should be good enough to pay taxes in. The less the big firms (and wealthy individuals pay) the more the rest of us have to cough-up to make the shortfall. Unless you're some sort of masochist who enjoys paying more than his fair share of tax, your defence of the nefarious tax-dodgers is surprising, to say the least;

3. On hedge funds, see Simon Lack, The Hedge Fund Mirage (2011). Every book I've ever read on investing says the same thing about hedge funds: they are the run by semi-crooks who fool the greedy & gullible wealthy into parting with massive feeds for massive under-performance.

You are a rascal, AT!
We obviously have diametrically opposing views especially where Maggie Thatcher is involved who I see as one of the best three if not the best ever PM this country has EVER had.

As for the rest, it is a matter of opinion and experience. The bottom line is that no-one is paid unless they earn more than they cost and if that line gets crossed they very soon find themselves out on their ear.

Am I a rascal? I prefer to think astute closer to the truth astute and focused.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's the bit that stuck out to me too. This means cuts in other areas of the services their employers provide.
Has to be. There's a whole lot of folk who are going to find that their standard of living is going to tank. Most in fact.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top