Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:58 PM

Re: Travellers

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
All very well, and I agree that the judiciary appears to be failing in what the four criteria for appropriate sentencing should be (we'll not bother with discussing those (yet) so as not to muddy the focal point of this part of the thread), but where exactly does one intend to incarcerate them? Never mind wishful thinking, look at what is actually available.
I don't think I ever mentioned the incarceration of judges.

But it's a good idea. Thank you.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't think I ever mentioned the incarceration of judges.

But it's a good idea. Thank you.
Yep, oops. Quoted the wrong bit originally. But you know what I mean
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Yep, oops. Quoted the wrong bit originally. But you know what I mean
Yes, of course, and I agree with you that some judges should be prosecuted and incarcerated for what they have done.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Yes, of course, and I agree with you that some judges should be prosecuted and incarcerated for what they have done.
Probably. Maybe spending their sentence among travellers? At least they might learn a few skills
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Where's EZ gone? EZ, come back and let us know everything's alright and you haven't taken on all the gypsy clans.
All ok Mups thanx for your concern. The Council officials turned up at the site yesterday along with the Police and an eviction notice giving them four days to leave. They also brought some porta loos with them as someone had see them defecating in the woods. So fingers crossed they will be gone soon. A police officer told me they were heading for the Manchester area.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-07-2020, 09:55 PM

Probably. Maybe spending their sentence among travellers? At least they might learn a few skills
Yes, I think that could be quite educational for them.

Now, it occurs to me that there may not at present be sufficient space in our prisons for all these additional convicts.
I have two very practical solutions to that:

1. Build more prisons, though this entails spending a lot of money. That, of course, doesn't appeal to me at all.

2. Adapt sentencing appropriately. This could include such things as hard labour, the good-old Victorian 'screw', very small cells with no amenities other than a bucket for pee and poo (and certainly no televisions or radios), segregation of prisoners with a maximum of one hour a day for solitary or very small group exercise, food delivered to individual cells to avoid prisoners meeting each other, smoking completely prohibited (which will do them the favour of helping their health), monthly visitors with glass screens to prevent touching (and passing drugs).
For more serious offences, traditional bread and water diets, corporal punishment (flogging) and, for murder, hanging until dead.

The advantages of such severe punishments are two-fold:
- shorter sentences, resulting in fewer prisons;
- the deterrence factor, resulting in fewer prisons;
- no need at all for prisons for murderers, other than for a short holding period during trial.

I'm sure I could think of more and better reasons for returning to Victorian ideals with regard to the crime problems we presently encounter, but I think that will probably do for now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:27 PM

Yes, I think that could be quite educational for them.

Now, it occurs to me that there may not at present be sufficient space in our prisons for all these additional convicts.
I have two very practical solutions to that:

1. Build more prisons, though this entails spending a lot of money. That, of course, doesn't appeal to me at all.

2. Adapt sentencing appropriately. This could include such things as hard labour, the good-old Victorian 'screw', very small cells with no amenities other than a bucket for pee and poo (and certainly no televisions or radios), segregation of prisoners with a maximum of one hour a day for solitary or very small group exercise, food delivered to individual cells to avoid prisoners meeting each other, smoking completely prohibited (which will do them the favour of helping their health), monthly visitors with glass screens to prevent touching (and passing drugs).
For more serious offences, traditional bread and water diets, corporal punishment (flogging) and, for murder, hanging until dead.

The advantages of such severe punishments are two-fold:
- shorter sentences, resulting in fewer prisons;
- the deterrence factor, resulting in fewer prisons;
- no need at all for prisons for murderers, other than for a short holding period during trial.

I'm sure I could think of more and better reasons for returning to Victorian ideals with regard to the crime problems we presently encounter, but I think that will probably do for now.
Outsource imprisonment.

It would be lower per capita cost to us and valuable invisible exports to some craphole Sub-Saharan country.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:43 PM

If you got invaded, would you take on the "Gypsy King".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-07-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Outsource imprisonment.

It would be lower per capita cost to us and valuable invisible exports to some craphole Sub-Saharan country.
Yes indeed. Another viable option. Russia would be a good choice.

1. Convicts would learn not to commit crime much more quickly and effectively than in our 'four-star hotels'.

2. Paying the Russians to take them in their prisons would no doubt be cheaper than keeping them in our 'four-star hotels'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-07-2020, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If you got invaded, would you take on the "Gypsy King".
?????

(Sorry, five characters are necessary for posting on here!)

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top