Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Re: Here Comes Norway ...!

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Like in the cod war days?
If I recall, Iceland retained its territorial waters and fishing rights.

So yes, just like Iceland
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:31 PM

In scotland they think otherwise. https://digitalpublications.parliame...Fisheries-Bill

Scotland has devolved powers for fishing but the fisheries bill itself is controlled by the UK parliament.

if Scotland, Ireland, Wales wish to allow EU vessels to buy licenses and fish under the rules of the UK Fisheries Policy then that is up to them, but these EU boats (and others from outside the EU) will have to abide by UK laws and UK rules.

I stated this would be the case about a year ago - that licensing would be granted to regions to fund local communities and coastal towns.

So all your doing is what I have already written - but you need to understand EU boats still don't have a right to fish our waters, quotas are set by the government and the rules are laid out as well by the UK government. Why do you think Barnier was saying las week that EU fleets "would be decimated" by the current UK Fisheries Bill ?

Because if you read the UK Fisheries Bill, Barnier is right.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We should have a word with Iceland soon, I'm sure there is another deal to be had there
If you bring enough money, you can buy quota.

Since 1984, the number of people working in the industry has gone down by half. Smaller boats are struggling - just as they are in the UK.
However, the fact that Iceland is in charge of its own fish stocks does not mean that all fishermen are happy with the system.
There is criticism of the centralisation of power: the fact that a large company can own a factory, own a vessel and also own the quota.
One industry insider who did not want to be named likens this to a "mafia".

To keep fish stocks sustainable and protect the marine ecosystem, scientists from the Icelandic Marine Research Institute continually monitor Icelandic waters and provide this data to the government.
This guidance is followed to help set limits on the amount of fish that can be caught.
As under the Common Fisheries Policy, this quota can be bought and sold.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:48 PM

Scotland has devolved powers for fishing but the fisheries bill itself is controlled by the UK parliament.

if Scotland, Ireland, Wales wish to allow EU vessels to buy licenses and fish under the rules of the UK Fisheries Policy then that is up to them, but these EU boats (and others from outside the EU) will have to abide by UK laws and UK rules.

I stated this would be the case about a year ago - that licensing would be granted to regions to fund local communities and coastal towns.

So all your doing is what I have already written - but you need to understand EU boats still don't have a right to fish our waters, quotas are set by the government and the rules are laid out as well by the UK government. Why do you think Barnier was saying las week that EU fleets "would be decimated" by the current UK Fisheries Bill ?

Because if you read the UK Fisheries Bill, Barnier is right.
Then we can agree on what I stated before. The fisheries bill will make little difference. The UK laws and rules are copy-pasted from the EU, the rights etc are still devolved. If there is a difference it will be the english catching the fish themselves, or sell their rights (again)
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 02:49 PM

If you bring enough money, you can buy quota.

Since 1984, the number of people working in the industry has gone down by half. Smaller boats are struggling - just as they are in the UK.
However, the fact that Iceland is in charge of its own fish stocks does not mean that all fishermen are happy with the system.
There is criticism of the centralisation of power: the fact that a large company can own a factory, own a vessel and also own the quota.
One industry insider who did not want to be named likens this to a "mafia".

To keep fish stocks sustainable and protect the marine ecosystem, scientists from the Icelandic Marine Research Institute continually monitor Icelandic waters and provide this data to the government.
This guidance is followed to help set limits on the amount of fish that can be caught.
As under the Common Fisheries Policy, this quota can be bought and sold.

You can't buy more quota with more money, that's just silly.

There is an enormous sustainability and conservation policy backed up by UK law over fishing. Saying you can just wave a cheque book and get more quota is simply not going to happen. I can see future international treaties being signed up between the UK, Norway, Iceland, USA etc to further protect fish stocks under a joint agreement coast-guard initiative.

The reason that UK boats have been reducing in numbers is because of the CFP and the EU setting quotas, avoiding the scientific advice and destroying fish stocks. The EU have given away UK quota for years, decimating our own industry in favour of giving it to Spain, Netherlands France and Denmark etc. It's disgusting what the EU commission has done to our territorial waters, our fish stocks and our industry.

You won't have anywhere near the quota you had under the CFP and your boats will be too uneconomical to run, especially with the license fees we will be charging.

It would be easier for you to just to buy our fish, of course at a premium because our prices will include a charge to enable money to go back into our industry so it can be funded properly to protect future UK generations and to manage our fish stocks.

Or you could fish your EU waters which stretch to about 12 miles from the border of Mainland Europe

... if you can find any fish that is.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Then we can agree on what I stated before. The fisheries bill will make little difference. The UK laws and rules are copy-pasted from the EU, the rights etc are still devolved. If there is a difference it will be the english catching the fish themselves, or sell their rights (again)
The UK fisheries bill is nothing like the CFP.

Are you serious ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

29-07-2020, 03:24 PM

You can't buy more quota with more money, that's just silly.

There is an enormous sustainability and conservation policy backed up by UK law over fishing. Saying you can just wave a cheque book and get more quota is simply not going to happen. I can see future international treaties being signed up between the UK, Norway, Iceland, USA etc to further protect fish stocks under a joint agreement coast-guard initiative.

The reason that UK boats have been reducing in numbers is because of the CFP and the EU setting quotas, avoiding the scientific advice and destroying fish stocks. The EU have given away UK quota for years, decimating our own industry in favour of giving it to Spain, Netherlands France and Denmark etc. It's disgusting what the EU commission has done to our territorial waters, our fish stocks and our industry.

You won't have anywhere near the quota you had under the CFP and your boats will be too uneconomical to run, especially with the license fees we will be charging.

It would be easier for you to just to buy our fish, of course at a premium because our prices will include a charge to enable money to go back into our industry so it can be funded properly to protect future UK generations and to manage our fish stocks.

Or you could fish your EU waters which stretch to about 12 miles from the border of Mainland Europe

... if you can find any fish that is.
Now I see why you don't understand this subject. Quota can be bought from those who hold them. It's a commodity.

Buy your fish? First try to land them, anywhere.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

29-07-2020, 03:25 PM

The UK fisheries bill is nothing like the CFP.

Are you serious ?
Sorry, I thought your bill was equal, but I will believe you on your word that it is inferior.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

29-07-2020, 03:43 PM

It favours the UK, its not equal at all.

Why would you think a UK fisheries bill would favour The Netherlands or Denmark ?

I'm not sure what your on about to be honest, you sound like a rambling drunk
Oh, for you equal means the same subject, the same results. Ever heard about equal quality?

I would hope the first objective of the fisheries bill would be about how to keep fish species diverse, abundant etc. And how to favour these. You're a (sporting) angler?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-07-2020, 03:52 PM

Oh, for you equal means the same subject, the same results. Ever heard about equal quality?

I would hope the first objective of the fisheries bill would be about how to keep fish species diverse, abundant etc. And how to favour these. You're a (sporting) angler?
Your swerving your own arguments. The UK fisheries bill is not equal to the CFP. Understand why we left it and what we are changing it to and you might have some idea about quality.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top