Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Polytunnel

A 2x3 metre polytunnel I ordered arrived yesterday. I started to put it together but made mistakes and had to start again. I'm going to try and figure out what pole slots into where today. It was too hot to keep trying yesterday.

It's for taking a bit more interest in growing my own veg (including tomatoes) next year. It can also be used to store the garden furniture in during the winter providing the whole thing doesn't blow away.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Re: Polytunnel

Sue wanted one of those plastic greenhouses but I put my foot down with a firm hand. So now we have a proper small 5x4ft glass greenhouse. Tomato plant in it is doing well almost up to roof height and a few tomatoes on it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sue wanted one of those plastic greenhouses but I put my foot down with a firm hand. So now we have a proper small 5x4ft glass greenhouse. Tomato plant in it is doing well almost up to roof height and a few tomatoes on it.
There are some plastic greenhouses on the allotments. The panes blow out when the wind is strong. We see people wandering around looking for them so they can put them back.

Anyway, the tunnel in our garden is up. It didn't go together that easily but the job is mostly done. A bit of tidying up and weighting down to do tomorrow.

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 08:40 PM

You've done a good job there ... looks good.

I used to have one of the smaller ones against my back wall , ( not a walk in like yours) and found it great for overwintering geraniums and starting off early annuals in spring.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-08-2020, 09:07 PM

Thanks. It maybe should have been a bit smaller but I expect I'll soon get used to it being there. I'm debating whether to get some paving slabs for the middle of it. Some sort of table or rack too. One thing always leads to another.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:52 PM

marM
have you thought about having the frame a little off the ground so its not resting on soil? Too late now, could have wrapped a damp proof membrane such as in houses around the bottom of the frame to protect it from getting wet and rusting/corroding/rotting

we used plastic shelving cheapest and good. push fit. cost around £30 for 2 on ebay

For taller plants etc just lift of the centre mesh
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-08-2020, 12:02 AM

I have given that some thought and might raise it a little off the ground with bricks. These things aren't all that heavy to raise a bit after construction.

For now, instead of weighting the canopy skirt down on the outside, I've tucked it inside. which means it insulates the frame from the from the ground. I think it could be left like this permanently. Put bricks around the skirt inside the tunnel instead of outside.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top