Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:21 PM

TikTok.... Should We Worried About This Social Networking Service For Young Kids?

My sister was telling me, she was taking part in a work’s quiz via Zoom.
Behind, one of her work colleagues, she could see her young granddaughter, dancing provocatively to music. She was wearing hot pants and a tank top that she kept pulling up and down.
When my sister, asked the grandmother if the girl was safe to make these videos for TikTok, she replied that her daughter, the girl’s mother, checks her mobile phone.

TikTok, is Chinese owned. I suppose they are more interested in the data? Maybe, someone can tell me more about TikTok?

What do you think about young girls dancing provocatively, videoing themselves and sending it to TikTok?
Or do you think my sister was being a fuddy duddy?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:28 PM

Re: TikTok.... Should We Worried About This Social Networking Service For Young Kids?

I did ask my daughter who is a teacher in a Primary School about TikTok and she said, they had to report loads of girls from her school.
She said, they are all trying to be sexy and it’s horrible.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Re: TikTok.... Should We Worried About This Social Networking Service For Young Kids?

There's another craze on this tik tok that is flamin awful and cruel.

Encouraging kids to pose, using their pet as a handset, and then afterwards throw it down.
Vets have been warning that pets are suffering spinal injuries from the rough treatment.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-08-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
There's another craze on this tik tok that is flamin awful and cruel.

Encouraging kids to pose, using their pet as a handset, and then afterwards throw it down.
Vets have been warning that pets are suffering spinal injuries from the rough treatment.
Oh my goodness! That is shocking.
I hadn’t heard about that.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My sister was telling me, she was taking part in a work’s quiz via Zoom.
Behind, one of her work colleagues, she could see her young granddaughter, dancing provocatively to music. She was wearing hot pants and a tank top that she kept pulling up and down.
When my sister, asked the grandmother if the girl was safe to make these videos for TikTok, she replied that her daughter, the girl’s mother, checks her mobile phone.

TikTok, is Chinese owned. I suppose they are more interested in the data? Maybe, someone can tell me more about TikTok?

What do you think about young girls dancing provocatively, videoing themselves and sending it to TikTok?
Or do you think my sister was being a fuddy duddy?
My granddaughters use Tik Tok but they are over 18 so hopefully have learned by that age what not to do on sites that can be accessed by anyone for any purpose including very dubious ones.

The link below does give some warnings, not least that by default anyone can view videos that are on there. This has to be set to 'Private' apparently, in my view it should be set to that by default, not relying on the user to do so. There is no end to what impressionable youngsters could be doing when uploading their own videos, or could be persuaded to be doing, by any undesirables who could access the site.

https://www.fosi.org/good-digital-pa...-about-tiktok/
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My granddaughters use Tik Tok but they are over 18 so hopefully have learned by that age what not to do on sites that can be accessed by anyone for any purpose including very dubious ones.

The link below does give some warnings, not least that by default anyone can view videos that are on there. This has to be set to 'Private' apparently, in my view it should be set to that by default, not relying on the user to do so. There is no end to what impressionable youngsters could be doing when uploading their own videos, or could be persuaded to be doing, by any undesirables who could access the site.

https://www.fosi.org/good-digital-pa...-about-tiktok/
Baz, This lady’s granddaughter must only be about 11 or 12, as she starts secondary school in September.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Baz, This lady’s granddaughter must only be about 11 or 12, as she starts secondary school in September.
Even more reason why parents should always be aware of what their youngsters are doing. Often the problem can be that the youngsters know more than their parents about the internet, what can be found on there and how to use apps.

At that age they are quite impressionable and inquisitive so even more vulnerable to what could happen if 'an undesirable' was to contact them via that app. From information on that link, although it's an American website, there are many warning bells sounding as far as I am concerned. The main one being the way users have to change the setting to 'Private' to ensure that is what it is when in use. Those youngsters who have parents who just let them do what they want on their devices will possibly not be aware of this requirement, the results could be what the parents would not wish to happen but have not taken enough interest to prevent this. Youngsters may possibly protest at what they may see as 'interfering parents' but for me it would always be 'better safe than sorry'.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:14 PM

Remember when we was at school and there was boys and girls who wanted to be part of the 'in' crowd and thus had to do things to show that they could be part of the 'in' crowd, well TikTok is the modern day version of that. You want to be seen as being popular, you want people to like you then post stuff on TikTok.

With regards to the woman's grand daughter wearing the hotpants and tanktop dancing provocatively. That's how it starts, then it moves onto pictures/videos of them dancing in their pyjamas, then moves more sinisterly onto dancing in their underwear. Parents/grandparents say it wont happen to their children but unfortunately it does.

Social media is a dangerous thing, especially for young females because their desire to be socially accepted and socially recognised is a lot more stronger than it is for males.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:59 PM

Funny you should start this thread about TikTok, Art, because I had never even heard of it until today, then heard of it twice in one day.

There is a small piece in today's newspaper saying this:

Quote:

"Video-sharing app TikTok will be banned in the US, Donald Trump announced yesterday.
The President said an executive order to block the Chinese app could be signed this weekend.
Security officials fear TikTok could be used to collect the data of 80 million mostly young Americans who use it.
But owner, ByteDance has denied it is controlled by the Chinese state.

"Mr. Trump said: "As far as TikTok is concerned, we're banning them."

India blocked TokTok in June amid a border dispute with China.

Unquote.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Funny you should start this thread about TikTok, Art, because I had never even heard of it until today, then heard of it twice in one day.

There is a small piece in today's newspaper saying this:

Quote:

"Video-sharing app TikTok will be banned in the US, Donald Trump announced yesterday.
The President said an executive order to block the Chinese app could be signed this weekend.
Security officials fear TikTok could be used to collect the data of 80 million mostly young Americans who use it.
But owner, ByteDance has denied it is controlled by the Chinese state.

"Mr. Trump said: "As far as TikTok is concerned, we're banning them."

India blocked TokTok in June amid a border dispute with China.

Unquote.
Mups, l hadn’t heard about it either, until my sister told me about the young girl dancing provocatively to the music.

I don’t watch the News these days, so l had no idea that Donald Trump was going to ban the TikTok app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top