Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 11:40 PM

Re: The Handmaid's Tale Series 4

We stopped watching it halfway through series 3, it was just becoming a pointless exercise of brutality and misery. Not much sign of redemption at all. Apparently, series 4 is even more harrowing. No thank you!:
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 12:14 AM

I wouldn't mind so much but the series not true to the book at all. It seems just another season of gratuitous violence against women without a real story line now. At least the 1990s film was more in line with the book. Plus it had Aidan Quinn (swoon!)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
We stopped watching it halfway through series 3, it was just becoming a pointless exercise of brutality and misery. Not much sign of redemption at all. Apparently, series 4 is even more harrowing. No thank you!:

I won't be watching any more of it either, John, and for the same reasons you've said.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Bur isn’t that Margaret Atwood envisaged , horrific goings on?
I saw Margaret Atwood in an interview and she said there was nothing in the book that hadn't happened already somewhere in the world.
I agree with you.

The first series more or less followed the books as much as any TV series does though personally I didn't think it made enough of the fact that Selena was one of the original intellectuals that devised Gilead's philosophy and quite different to the character in the TV series.

The second series on is all new ground and nothing to do with the book other than the characters carry over - Series 2 and 3 I enjoyed, I haven't watched enough of Series 4 to decide.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:14 AM

I have finished the series 4 and I enjoyed it. I don't know if there will be any more but I think they rounded it off.

There were a couple of unsatisfactory parts, I would have liked to have known more about how Aunt Lydia and Janine ended up.

Would like to have seen the package ending up with the person it was addressed to. (too obvious?)

Over all I thought it was a satisfactory ending if that is what it was.

I think I have avoided spoilers if you haven't watched all of it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 10:40 PM

Watched the series. Loved it. It’s getting really gory but I think that’s part of the storyline. She’s slowly losing her humanity.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top